• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

When your life is in the hands of Harbor Freight

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
So I don't know about anyone else but seems like Harbor Freight has been responsible for my life functions on more than one occasion. This here is an example.

This is MaxiPad (Reason of that not family safe) and she has been my slave, mule, life saver, scrap runner, getaway vehicle, and most recently a gravel hauler. 96 Mazda B2300 with 502k (miles), EVERYTHING is held together by pure hope and crappy LTD/ Uncle Jack fueled welds, and of course $7.99 ratchet straps from our favorite toy store! (Yes even mine. Other toys are from Amazon). But as anyone who knows these things, the radius arms are known to rot and eventually try and kill you. It doesnt help that this one doesnt have a single tire size that matches to another, bed is held on by pure hope, the hydro throwout bearing is shot so in gear 24/7, the starter is ran off a boat switch, and the 4th engine at 238k is 120psi/80psi/31psi/5psi for compression (1 to 4). But the frame is friggin MINT BUB! She's been driven about 10,000mi with nothing but orange nylon holding together the front end, and just as a precaution I haven't taken it off yet.

She still keeps on trooping and in a year she has survived 9 other vehicles. (She got jealous and killed them or I just have horrible investment problems). At this point she has become irreplaceable and has become a local legend. Especially with the fuzz.

Attachments

• 20210925_170629.jpg
    20210925_170629.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210925_170629.jpg
    20210925_170629.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210821_074551.jpg
    20210821_074551.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210811_101837.jpg
    20210811_101837.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210825_185515.jpg
    20210825_185515.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210826_110645.jpg
    20210826_110645.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210826_110656.jpg
    20210826_110656.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20210825_190513.jpg
    20210825_190513.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 6

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Um...
"...my dad is a TV repairman." ;)
"He has this awesome set of tools" :2guns:
"He can fix it" :cheers2:

"Your dad can fix THIS?" :unsure:
(looks over the situation)
"He CAN fix it" :thumbsup:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
And here I thought seeing an A/C compressor on a mini van being held in place by a rusty vise grip was janky.

Time to get some new metal and rebuild!

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
She's still go some life left to her. I got a LIMA 2.3 engine that came from a sprint car that makes about 285/305 on the dyno. But its designed to bolt up to a Muncie and I've gotten so used to not having 2nd. Time to break out the crossfire and see how more butchered this thing can get!

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Ooh you got the Crossfire plasma table? Which one and what do you think of it? Been wanting to get one, but lack of garage space is making me not want to get one.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
it seems maine doesnt do inspections :ROFLMAO: luckily illinois/indiana dont either, i dont thinkanyone in my family can pass lol

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Reaction score
it seems maine doesnt do inspections :ROFLMAO: luckily illinois/indiana dont either, i dont thinkanyone in my family can pass lol
OHHHHHHHH on the contrary! We have some of the strictest inspection laws out there. If your tire size doesnt match the door, you fail, if you have a lift, you'll most likely fail, if you have uncoated steel lines, they'll try and fail you. They JUST passed frame patches as legal but has to look factory when you're done, otherwise... FAIL. Some garages are so bad if you have any sort of paint fatigue or chipping the most likely fail it all together because it's a sign of structural rust. I brought in my 96 F250 that had brand new steel lines on it from that exact same shop week later they brought it in and failed it because the lines were going to rust and he needed to put the copper nickel lines on it. And it was his own shop that put the lines on previously. And now due to a ****y governor garages are being cracked down on and fined for the slightest thing they look past. They're pulling peoples inspection license if they don't have proof that work at a shop or own a shop.

FlyFrog

Reaction score
OHHHHHHHH on the contrary! We have some of the strictest inspection laws out there. If your tire size doesnt match the door, you fail, if you have a lift, you'll most likely fail, if you have uncoated steel lines, they'll try and fail you. They JUST passed frame patches as legal but has to look factory when you're done, otherwise... FAIL. Some garages are so bad if you have any sort of paint fatigue or chipping the most likely fail it all together because it's a sign of structural rust. I brought in my 96 F250 that had brand new steel lines on it from that exact same shop week later they brought it in and failed it because the lines were going to rust and he needed to put the copper nickel lines on it. And it was his own shop that put the lines on previously. And now due to a ****y governor garages are being cracked down on and fined for the slightest thing they look past. They're pulling peoples inspection license if they don't have proof that work at a shop or own a shop.
How in the world did it pass?????

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I would've spent the money on stainless steel brake lines. Much better corrosion resistance. Copper has a tendency to contaminate brake fluid, eventually causing a sludge build up.