When trying to set the bead for a tire just put on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
While that has been known to work, I feel the need to take a moment to remind everyone that this is NOT a safe way to seat a tire. We have many younger forum members that really ought not be playing with Ether starting fluids and open flames. The potential for disaster is quite real.

If you're having difficulty seating a tire the correct way, here's a couple of no-fail tips. Always soak the bead surfaces in soapy water, this helps a lot. Get yourself a locking tire chuck- these have a little tab and lever on them that lets it stay attached to the valve stem hands free. This frees up both your hands for moving the tire around to get the beads to cooperate. DISCLAIMER- When seating beads, ESPECIALLY with a locking tire chuck, be sure to set the compressor to 40psi or less. You don't need much to seat it, AND if you blow high pressure in, you probably will not have time to react once the beads pop before the tire blows. If you're having great difficulty getting those beads on still- wrap a ratchet strap around the tire's circumference and crank it down. This has a tendency to force the sidewalls out even further and makes contacting both sides of the rim easier.

Sorry to get all Safety Nazi on y'all- needed to be done, though. There's my PSA for the month, now back to your regularly scheduled program...

oldbikerarlo

Old guy
Reaction score
quoat "Sorry to get all Safety Nazi on y'all- needed to be done, though. There's my PSA for the month, now back to your regularly scheduled program..."

Dirty job but someone had to say it. Thanks

kendelrk

redneck engineer
Reaction score
the problems are quite real, 2 days ago i spilt gas all over the florr, wiped it and waited till the next day, grandma threw a ciggarete and wooosh open flames, we didnt loose anything of vaule but we could have

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
^^ smart.

yeah if you spray starting fluid at a lighter it goes WOOOSH.

almost a disaster once, the flame went up inside the spray nossle!

bighead

Reaction score
Also keep your funger out of the beads. Not good if that bead pops and your finger is in the way.

Also the guy in the vid did way way to much spray on the tire. I have done this a few times with only a few squirts. This guy was lucky.

JHen

Reaction score
Yes, I would agree with that. When my friends and I did it, we used far less and it worked fine.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Oddly enough my kart tires didn't even need any help seating themselves. Just hapzardly seated them onto the rim, and they aired up just fine o_O (Granted it did take 40psi for the bead to sit...)

sexyvicta

Reaction score
Have a look on youtube at all the videos of where this method backfires. Quite funny

tinkerman73

Reaction score
I read of this method some wheres else. I had a tractor tire I had issue with. I tried this. LOL. First three times, it did not seat and nooo excitement. Fourth time, there was lots of excitment and it still did not seat! My hair was singed and I knocked on my but. My daughter was knocked too. So, I instead had her help me hold the tire and threw some rubber cement aound the tire and rim, then blasted it with 110lbs of air. it popped the bead on and help it. Then I filled it to the 35Lbs it needed to go at. Much safer!

JHen

Reaction score
Ya man just don't do this method. Unless your broke down away from home with no other options.

I think that is how this was discovered. I heard this was first done by a crew of people in Antartica who needed to change the tire fast and they thought of this. Least, that's what I heard.

fowler

Reaction score
i dout it was in antarctica

i rekon more like northern europe or Greendland where alot of driving long dictances on snow is occouring

there is almost no driving in antarctica

i know the trick was shown on BBC's top gears north pole trip it was performed by icelandic mechanics after a crash

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
^Thats hilarious, what a retard.

Ive seen this done on bob cats and the like at construction sites when the tire looses its bead. Dont know why you would do it when your mounting a tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.