When is Crank Shaving Needed?

Solomonster212

High Compression Member
Messages
234
Reaction score
12
Location
Hoover, Alabama
I saw some guys on Youtube shaving their cranks down near the rod area... I was watching these videos with no sound due to being at work, just wondering what they were having clearance issues with? I've got a billet rod and MOD2 cam on the way, and I want to make sure I don't have to shave the crank down to install those. It's fine if I have to because I have a Dremel, I'm just asking when it's necessary to do so.

Predator 212cc hemi, by the way.
 

karl

Well-known member
Messages
2,449
Reaction score
718
Location
North east Ohio
Ok, first, the mod 2 cam is stock lift, but high duration

This, combined with the 55mm stroke of the predator, and the additional material where I am pointing at the crank, causes an interference.

On the right is a stock hemi crank, That I ground to fit a high duration cam. Just the output shaft side needs help. Left is a stock GX200 crank. Both predator hemi's I put cams in, mod2 245 duration, and 230 marine, required grinding.

With the Box Stock Project clone crank in hemi, same stroke, required no grinding at all for a higher lift cam , 230 duration. Already taken care of/ shaped like honda
 

Attachments

  • 20200224_234803.jpg
    20200224_234803.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 34

JustinSanthuff

New member
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So I ordered the go powersports kit and got the .265 cam and it was hitting the crank. So I took it to the go kart racing shop up the road here in independence and the guy shaved my CAM not my CRANK. So i asked him like are you sure you should do that? And he was like oh yeah i do it on our karts all the time. I feel like that's wrong. He literally shaved half the lobe width wise. My cams ruined isn't it?
 

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Messages
2,468
Reaction score
132
Location
North West Arkansas
So I ordered the go powersports kit and got the .265 cam and it was hitting the crank. So I took it to the go kart racing shop up the road here in independence and the guy shaved my CAM not my CRANK. So i asked him like are you sure you should do that? And he was like oh yeah i do it on our karts all the time. I feel like that's wrong. He literally shaved half the lobe width wise. My cams ruined isn't it?

It’s actually a common practice. I generally take what I can from the area shown in the pic above, but shaving the cam is something I have to do to almost every engine I build.
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
59
Location
Dallas, TX
i have a hemi 212 and mod 2 and had to shave the crank

jody at ARC racing shaves the camshaft all the time instead of the rod or crank. its common practice
 

Wilson_Engine_Shop

Supporter
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
Location
Independence, Kansas
So I ordered the go powersports kit and got the .265 cam and it was hitting the crank. So I took it to the go kart racing shop up the road here in independence and the guy shaved my CAM not my CRANK. So i asked him like are you sure you should do that? And he was like oh yeah i do it on our karts all the time. I feel like that's wrong. He literally shaved half the lobe width wise. My cams ruined isn't it?

This isnt related to the thread but which Independence are you talking about? KS or MO?
 
Top