Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Front/Rear: Knobby: 145 x 7 x 6" / 18 x 9.5 x 8"

Is this a good set of wheels for a kiddies 3.5 HP size kart? Will the speed be acceptable - a comfortable jogging pace or do you'se reckon it'll be slowww!

Maybe a bit too big but I plan to change the motor to 150CC when he gets comfortable handling the kart.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Kenny, what optimal size tyre and rim would you recommend for front and back for a 3.5HP motor sized kart?

I really appreciate your input and thanx.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Bolt patterns are measured in MM, look up how ot measure bolt patterns on google. I dont think a 3.5 will push a live axle good enough to make it handle very well if at all.

fluxcored

Reaction score
I'm quite flexible regarding gearing - I think I have a 12 tooth gear on the clutch. Will check tonight.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
"I dont think a 3.5 will push a live axle good enough to make it handle very well if at all"

My live axle has a 3.5 2-stroke and it does AWESOME powerslides at around 40kph... But that may be because I have a manual clutch and can unhook the backend whenever. Just dip the clutch with throttle down and you slide all over the place!

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
"I dont think a 3.5 will push a live axle good enough to make it handle very well if at all"

My live axle has a 3.5 2-stroke and it does AWESOME powerslides at around 40kph... But that may be because I have a manual clutch and can unhook the backend whenever. Just dip the clutch with throttle down and you slide all over the place!

We are talking 4 stroke auto here.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Ja, I do'nt think it'll be that powerful. My clutch has got 10 teeth - I still need to figure what to put on the drive wheel and I'll definitely go single wheel drive.

I'm going for wheel barrow or cheaper wheels - a rat build look. I have to save money for another project which I want to attempt after this is done.

Thanks all and especially you Kenny.

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
I'm going for wheel barrow or cheaper wheels - a rat build look. I have to save money for another project which I want to attempt after this is done.

You might think you will save money, but I have barrow wheels on my kart and after 3 days of around 4 hours a day both back tyres were worn bald and one popped.

fluxcored

Reaction score
I'll decide within the next few days what I'm gonna do about the wheels. Andrew, I'm afraid that you've got a good point there.

Status
Not open for further replies.