Wheel removal

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
Having trouble getting wheels off .what is the correct size of sockets to get centre nut of .I tried measuring I think might be 28mm cheers

Attachments

• IMG_20211226_110252.jpg
    IMG_20211226_110252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20211226_110201.jpg
    IMG_20211226_110201.jpg
    988.5 KB · Views: 6

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
I’m going to sound like a jerk. I don’t mean to be. But whatever size socket fits the nut. I have seen various different sizes. Probably in inches like all the other nuts and bolts on the kart.
I Don't have one big enough that's why I was asking lol because it's inside the hub.its difficult to measure I think the back nut might be 28mm but not to sure wasn't want to buy the wrong ones 🤔

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
Lol @Denny. I had bought 4 different sizes of sockets to find one to fit. Save some trouble and get yourself a large monkey wrench, adjust it, and get it off. If it's still a bit tight, hit it with a blow torch a little.
Trouble is. It's inside the hub ,quite difficult to get into itexcept for a socket

anderkart

Reaction score
I Don't have one big enough that's why I was asking lol because it's inside the hub.its difficult to measure I think the back nut might be 28mm but not to sure wasn't want to buy the wrong ones 🤔
I usually recommend buying a inexpensive Caliper measuring Tool for this type of situation, although I don't think it would fit inside your rim.

Sometimes mechanics have to think outside the box to achieve their goal, trying out crazy sounding things like maybe: Pressing an apple or something else like a hunk of dense packing foam into the nut so it leaves a perfect impression; that can then be easily and accurately measured...

If you were to Purchase or borrow a Spanner Wrench that was large enough, you could use it as a measuring device in place of the apple... ;)

redflash

Reaction score
If you don't have more tools than a few sockets......maybe you better take up a different hobby !

Da Flash

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
Lol @Denny. I had bought 4 different sizes of sockets to find one to fit. Save some trouble and get yourself a large monkey wrench, adjust it, and get it off. If it's still a bit tight, hit it with a blow torch a little.
Yeah I thought of using a bit of heat. I just was hoping someone new the right size so I could buy one rather than guessing lol

redflash

Reaction score
That wasn;t criticism, Just the reality that to do this, takes a hecka lot of tools....Once you build it...then something always breaks, and you have to build it all over...Good luck

Da Flash

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Trouble is. It's inside the hub ,quite difficult to get into itexcept for a socket
I know exactly what you mean. The tire keeps the wrench from fitting properly on the nut. Exactly what I ran into. The wrench will have to be tilted out and you'll have minimal meat to grab but it can be done. No one can give you an exact size tho. Manco and Yerf-Dog (when it was still in business) did some crazy stuff. Some of the parts were altered during production and a lot of times, certain parts sizes won't match the manual. When I tried to buy a socket, I tried both metric and standard and nothing really felt tight. A 12" wrench will run about $20 and can be used with more applications whereas a specialty socket will run you around $15 and you will probably only use it on that one job (if you're lucky enough to get the right size). It's a pain but unless you plan on bringing your kart with you to purchase the socket, there's a good chance you may find yourself buying 4 different sizes of socket and none of them working...

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. The tire keeps the wrench from fitting properly on the nut. Exactly what I ran into. The wrench will have to be tilted out and you'll have minimal meat to grab but it can be done. No one can give you an exact size tho. Manco and Yerf-Dog (when it was still in business) did some crazy stuff. Some of the parts were altered during production and a lot of times, certain parts sizes won't match the manual. When I tried to buy a socket, I tried both metric and standard and nothing really felt tight. A 12" wrench will run about $20 and can be used with more applications whereas a specialty socket will run you around $15 and you will probably only use it on that one job (if you're lucky enough to get the right size). It's a pain but unless you plan on bringing your kart with you to purchase the socket, there's a good chance you may find yourself buying 4 different sizes of socket and none of them working...
Thank for the advice I think it might be a 28mm I tried to measure it but quite onward I assuming anticlockwise to take it off? Cheers 🍻

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Yeah the really fun part is after you get the tire off, you realize how rusted everything is to the axle and get fed up like me. That's when you get the saw-zaw and cut the old axle in multiple places and detach it from the frame. After about a week of working on it, I ended up just getting an entirely new axle, sprocket, and brake for $150. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me. Good luck!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Yeah the really fun part is after you get the tire off, you realize how rusted everything is to the axle and get fed up like me. That's when you get the saw-zaw and cut the old axle in multiple places and detach it from the frame. After about a week of working on it, I ended up just getting an entirely new axle, sprocket, and brake for $150. The juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me. Good luck!
See you did figure out the best way to deal with it. I’m proud of you. :mad2:

Stuartburton56

Reaction score
I managed to get it off .just need to get help brass bushes that go in there .in the picture

Attachments

• 20220123_204426.jpg
    20220123_204426.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220126_153748.jpg
    20220126_153748.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7