Wheel question

Bigblockguy

Reaction score
I need to run narrower tires on the front of my buggy. The 22x11-8s are fine for the back, but i found a 4 pack of 2 rears that size and 2 20x7-8s. Would i be able to use 7 inch wide rims, or is 5 7/8ths the way to go? Whole reason for needing narrower is i need to modify my tie rod arms due to an ackerman issue.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
I've talked to MFG Supply in the past when Shannon was still there in the parts dept., about what size tire can you put on what size rim. He was able to look at a chart and tell me that the wider tires I wanted for narrow front rims weren't applicable. I'd suggest calling them to get a mfr. recommendation on that, could otherwise be difficult to mount, wear out too soon, even be dangerous.
Phone number is in upper right-hand corner of link below. Ask for parts dept.
Snowmobile Parts, Go Kart Parts, Lawnmower Parts, ATV Parts, and more | MFG Supply

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
You can usually safely mount tires on rims that are 2” or more inches narrower than the widest part of the tire. It is safer to mount a wide tire on a narrow rim than to mount a narrow tire on a wide rim. Just don’t go wider with the rim, that’s bad. Can even be real bad.

pearl111

Reaction score
You can usually safely mount tires on rims that are 2” or more inches narrower than the widest part of the tire. It is safer to mount a wide tire on a narrow rim than to mount a narrow tire on a wide rim. Just don’t go wider with the rim, that’s bad. Can even be real bad.
Does this apply to tubeless, or tires that need tubes? Or can it apply to both? Thanks.

Bigblockguy

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I ended up ordering all new rims. The fronts are 5.5 inches wide. I brought the thing back to my job and ended up giving up on true ackerman and just welded the tie rod arms at a 90. Bonus, now i can still use the bigger wheels in front if i need to. For all the work ive put in, at the end of the day its a toy and one thats meant for dirt, mud and sand at that.