Wheel & gearing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobber

Reaction score
First, I would like to thank you in advance for responding with helpful information. Its great that I can come to this site and get info that helps me enjoy my toys.

I have a mini bike bobber & would like to put a larger tire on the rear. It currently rides on a 15x6.00-6. I would like to go to a larger size to make it look more proportional. I was thinking more like a 10" rim. I don't want to get any wider. Any help would be great.

The other thing I would like to change is the lack of low end power. It is pretty slow off the line and I would be willing to sacrifice top end for more pick up. It has a 54 tooth rear & a 10 tooth front. I rode next to a friends truck and on his speedo I topped out at 28 mph. It has a 3 hp Briggs which soon will be replaced by a 5 hp Briggs. The 30 MPH range is plenty for my neighborhood.

When I increase the wheel size I am guessing I will increase the top end & decrease the low end.
Any suggestions on how to gear it so it doesn't feel like I'm standing still when I take off?

I'm also am replacing the over sized seat.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cotmullion

Mechanical nut
Reaction score
That bike is brilliant!!! I love the handlebars. About the gearing: If you increase the tire and the sprocket you will barely gain anything, so you need to increase the tire size and increase the sprocket even more, to get better low end torque and acceleration.

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
Nice build!
Rule of thumb is you cant run over 15" of tire on a cent clutch. With the 5hp ungoverned and that gearing/tire it should do around 35

bobber

Reaction score
Thanks. I saw a big Scag mower at a shop today that had a 8" wheel. It was nice because it was tall and narrow. It was the wrong size hub though.

bobber

Reaction score
Kenny,

I just took a second look at your reply. You said the tire I have on it is the max height I should run with a cent clutch.
I want to put a TAV-2 on it but not right away. I was going to do the engine swap then the wheel swap. I was going to add the TAV-2 later.
I guess I should rethink more order of attack?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.