Wheel and tire setup?

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I've decided to put a new rear axle on my kart since everything is so busted. I was thinking about changing over to a 4x4 setup since I'm already there (and taking off the enormous nut is a pain after rust/dirt get to it). The originals are 20x10.00-8. Any recommendations on where to get some decent knobby tires and 4x4 wheels at for a good price? I really don't want to spend $200 just for the 2 wheels and tires on the back. Thanks.

USAMAC

Reaction score
I'm confused by what you're meaning when you say 4x4. At first, I thought you were talking about making the 2 live axles, and in guess 2 TC. I've seen a video by CarsandCameras where they do 4 motors, one one each wheel lol

So by 4x4, are you talking about using 4 of the exact same rims and wheels? I'm not so sure that's recommended due to how it will handle, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few setups with it.

Can you share any pics of your kart?

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
I'm confused by what you're meaning when you say 4x4. At first, I thought you were talking about making the 2 live axles, and in guess 2 TC. I've seen a video by CarsandCameras where they do 4 motors, one one each wheel lol

So by 4x4, are you talking about using 4 of the exact same rims and wheels? I'm not so sure that's recommended due to how it will handle, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few setups with it.

Can you share any pics of your kart?
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant I was wanting to go from the 1" bore bolt up to the 4 lug bolt pattern on the rear wheels.

Attachments

• 16324201357563686609568322777761.jpg
    16324201357563686609568322777761.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

USAMAC

Reaction score
Sorry I should have been more specific. I meant I was wanting to go from the 1" bore bolt up to the 4 lug bolt pattern on the rear wheels.
Oooh, gotcha. OK I do not have experience on doing this, but glad I'm following so I can learn with you when the experts chime in!

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Oooh, gotcha. OK I do not have experience on doing this, but glad I'm following so I can learn with you when the experts chime in!
Well I'm going to have to get hubs and bearings for the axle but I think it's worth it because 1) it'll make it much easier to change the tires and 2)it might open up more possibilities as far as tire choices. I'm just really cheap and like finding good deals. So far, gopowersports.com has the best deals and options. Still shopping around a bit tho. I still have an axle to put together lol

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Here is the most economical axle set up, that I've found/use (under $200.00 total) ;)
...a 36" live axle (with 2 nuts & some key stock) $42.95 1" Steel Live Axle | 4000** | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) rims ~$18.95 (ea.) 6" x 4-1/2" Steel Rim (1" Bore) | K260065 | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) bearings kit $20.95 1" Bearing Kit (2 hole) | 400405 | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) tires (Kenda Turf Treads) ~27.00 ea. 13x5.00-6 (13x5-6) Kenda K358 Turf Tread Tubeless 4 Ply Small Mower Tire | eBay
...& a 60T/35P sprocket $26.00 60 Tooth 1" Bore 35 Pitch Roller Chain Sprocket 35BS60-1 | Concentric International | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Find a golf cart dealer and buy a set of used rims from them. They are usually very cheap. They also have the correct 4x4 pattern and are 8x8. Then just get whatever tread pattern tire you like.

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Here is the most economical axle set up, that I've found/use (under $200.00 total) ;)
...a 36" live axle (with 2 nuts & some key stock) $42.95 1" Steel Live Axle | 4000** | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) rims ~$18.95 (ea.) 6" x 4-1/2" Steel Rim (1" Bore) | K260065 | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) bearings kit $20.95 1" Bearing Kit (2 hole) | 400405 | BMI Karts And Parts
...(2) tires (Kenda Turf Treads) ~27.00 ea. 13x5.00-6 (13x5-6) Kenda K358 Turf Tread Tubeless 4 Ply Small Mower Tire | eBay
...& a 60T/35P sprocket $26.00 60 Tooth 1" Bore 35 Pitch Roller Chain Sprocket 35BS60-1 | Concentric International | Brands | www.surpluscenter.com
Well that's all a bit too small for mine. The minimum axle length I can go is 39-1/2" and my rear tires are 20x10-8 now. I wouldn't want to go smaller because I need all the clearance I can get with such a large sprocket on the axle. I really appreciate you looking all that up tho. Gives me some good ideas anyway.

Functional Artist

Reaction score
F.A., he's likely more interested in functional than artist.
Um...so, where did ya get "In karts 4 x 4 means.............4 lugs on a 4" bolt circle."? :unsure: (I've never heard that before)
&
Ya didn't answer "my" question :smartass: "so, what would ya call a 4 x 4 kart then?"
...& also, what's not functional about the Lunar Rover? :stir:

ONE-EYE

Reaction score
Just to clarify on the whole 4X4 vocabulary............... In karts 4 x 4 means.............4 lugs on a 4" bolt circle.
F.A., he's likely more interested in functional than artist.
Indeed. Sorry for the confusion. Honestly I'm fairly new at kart builds and I'm trying to learn as I go. I didn't realize that there were more 4x4 variations. I literally just had to cut an axle to get a bad tire off and didn't want that to ever happen again if possible. It's already getting expensive lol