What's the smallest gear ratio for.18hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmuhlbauer

New member
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
What would be the smallest gear ratio you would advise for an 18hp motor? I'm looking for maximum speed I was thinking maybe 3:1...Is this too small?
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
What's the tire size, clutch or TC, what's the use(flat road or off road)....

Too broad of a question to ask...
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/



/-----------<




This long....
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
I've always heard that a piece of string has a very definitive length , it starts on one end, and ends on the other.

Here in Texas, we tend to be very technical, so we have a name for each end. We say ;" it goes from hair to thair."
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
So how long is a C-Hair length?.......In Texas....


Up north here is a bit smaller.....cause it gets cold alot.........
 

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Messages
12,461
Reaction score
70
Location
White Settlement Texas
Depends, as I said , here in Texas, we tend to get real technical. Are you wanting to know the generic length, or the red one?

WAIT!!!! I haven't a clue, down here, we've always put inches against them , not minipeters.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Oh I was talking inches....
I see the confusion... C in this case.... Is far from centi... (As a typical Canadian I was being polite and omitted that from this discussion)
Although one could speculate, that there is a metric equivalent... A centi-hair perse....
One can also use the standard mph/kmph conversion principals to the same effect.

I'm sure Sid will clarify as to the exact length...

In closing however, there is a defined amount of fairies that will fit dancing upon the head of a pin...
Aparently it has been defined...

http://www.improbable.com/airchives/paperair/volume7/v7i3/angels-7-3.htm

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.........
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
simple fact:

your HP is unimportant to determine the highest possible ratio
minimum ratio is "infinite" you can gear a million to one if you like it'll work as long as you can get big enough gears (wormgears are likely more convenient for that matter)
but that's not what you asked for, right?

you mean HIGHEST ratio (lowest number)
and that for a powerfull engine a matter of take off speed more than actually engine power (which in this case means torque not HP)

Anyways.. with a cent clutch, 3:1 is out of reach, no matter what industrial engine you throw at it (no matter if 6 or 20 horses)
simple reason being: with a cent clutch the engagement speed is likely in the realms of 2k rpms.. which would convert to likely something like 18mph..
you will ruin every cent clutchwith a takeoff speed like that
you cannot get to 18mph from zero in an instant, thus the clutch must slip while your accelerating to that speed.. and this emans you'll burn the clutch anyways (even IF the engine can get you to that speed with a slipping clutch)

So NO! 3:1 is not going to happen

You could try the 3d motorsport manual clutch, which MIGHT survive (I can't tell but you could engage it at idle speed even which is ~1200rpm and converts to much lower speeds of course...)
then again, at idle the engine has a much lower torque than at 2k... IDK.. give it a try if you like

BUT generally if you want speed, scrap the industrial engine altogether and get a motorbike engine instead.

'sid
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top