whats special about briggs animal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I just want to know what has been done to the briggs animal that makes it a racing engine. it looks like a clone engine. Does it have a cam or billet parts?

anderkart

Reaction score
(quote from: http://www.briggsracing.com/racing_engines/animal/

Dual Ball-Bearing, RACING Reinforced Cylinder
Squeeze-Cast, T-7 Treated, Racing Rod
Ground Cam w/ Compression Release
High-Silicon Valve Springs
PVL™ Digital Ignition System
Racing Only Intake Port
Walbro™ Round - Slide Carburetor
Dana ™ Fire-Ring Head Gasket
Racing Crankshaft w/ Induction-Hardened Crankpin
Federal Mogul™ Cam Ground, Barrel-Faced Piston
Chrome-Faced, Racing Ring Package
Nitrited Dished Exhaust Valve
Automotive 3-Piece Valve Retainer System
Beefy Rocker Arm Stud Nuts

02mx-5

Reaction score
I dont want to start a new thread so im gonna ask here. What is the purpose of the angle mounts for engines? Does it help with the oil and cooling? I see them all over ebay but i never knew there was a problem just mounting the engine normally

anderkart

Reaction score
The angled motor mounts on side engine race karts can create more tire clearance for carbs, air cleaner's, pipes and especially the rear mounted fuel tanks like 5 hp Briggs engines have. This can allow some engines to be adjusted further back for seat clearance or weight transfer reasons. On the other hand, some guys just plain like the the looks of an angled engine too. You'll usualy run less engine oil with angled mounts.

Briggs Animal engines are by far the most popular choice for 4 stroke oval kart racing. When guys try to build up a clone to race against these, they usualy get left in the dust. They're sold fully assembled but most serious racers have them blueprinted before using. These engines were purpose built for kart racing, they really weren't intended for use on kart karts.

Briggs also sells a very simalar engine called the "Local 206 Option": http://www.briggsracing.com/Racing_LOCAL206Program_SS.pdf
This is basicly an Animal equiped with a recoil starter, a thicker head gasket to lower compression and a 6100rpm rev limiter. These engines are intended to be raced right out of the box in their own special race class. This engine would probably be a much better choice for the average fun/yard kart rider or someone just getting into 4 stroke kart racing.

1992suburban

I wanna go FAST!!
Reaction score
only reason I would buy a clone was if I had money to toss..

450-500 bux for a 8-8.5hp 7100RPM turning engine..

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Reaction score
I'm on $500 (Australian $) for my 47hp 11,000RPM engine w/ 6 speed gearbox, and have heaps more bike parts to sell.

You just can't beat motorbike engines...

NJOHC

Reaction score
Wow I never knew the local 206 option was rev limited. How is this done? And what kind of power are they making?

Status
Not open for further replies.