What type of rear axle setup is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRMN

Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I am starting a project that is based on this mini quad rear swing arm I bought off eBay. I can't seem to find parts for it anywhere. It uses a go kart style rear axle, which is the reason I am here posting on a go kart forum instead of a atv forum. I am hoping you all will be able to help me or at least point me in the right direction. I bought this particular swing arm because it appears to be the same swing arm used on those old Xtreme Typhoon 125cc mini atv's. The Xtreme Typhoon was also re-branded under different names. The Baja Storm 125 and the SSR SRQ125R just to name a few.

I am positing pictures so you all can see what I am talking about and you also can read the write up of the Xtreme Typhoon from the link above.

This is the swing arm I have.

Xtreme Typhoon

Baja Storm

SSR SRQ125R

Is there a name for this type of rear setup or can anyone tell me what type of rear axle setup this is? It's really similar to what this guy is doing here. Thanks

JRMN

Reaction score
Thanks mckutzy, that's exactly the type of information I needed to know. I will gather all the information I can about live axles. How hard do you think it will be for me to source an axle, sprocket, and brakes for it?

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks mckutzy, that's exactly the type of information I needed to know. I will gather all the information I can about live axles. How hard do you think it will be for me to source an axle, sprocket, and brakes for it?

If you are looking for the ones that would go on a quad using that swingarm, then it shouldn't be too hard. Look at places that sell those quads and their spares

JRMN

Reaction score
I don't think I will be able to find exact parts for that swing arm, so I will probably use go kart parts. Maybe something like this and or this for the axle. I know I am going to have to use a split sprocket. I think the hardest part to figure is the brakes.

mckutzy

Reaction score
Off hand I could see going a few routes,
Getting the factory replacements and go from there. This will give the options they give you with the available parts.

Going with just the bearing hangers(eccentric adjusters), you could source your own bearings, axle, sprockets, ect. The axle size is governed by the max bearing size you can find for that adjuster, likewise with the sprocket hub. Tires are also determined by axle size and what you can handle on the atv.

I guess what I'm saying is, how much building of your own parts do you want to do.
Edit:don't use aluminum for an axle like that it will bend easily.

JRMN

Reaction score
Thanks mckutzy. Honestly I don't want to build any of my own parts because I wouldn't know where to start and buying factor replacement parts would be too expensive. I probably wouldn't be able to find everything anyway. I was thinking the same, the only factory part I would probably need is the bearing carrier and just source the axle, sprocket, and brakes. I think my best bet at getting the bearing carrier is to the one for Baja Storm because I've been able to find a part list it and I've found a few websites that look like they might still sell parts for it.

Honestly I'm confused how these axles stay put and not slide back and forth. I also can't tell how the brakes work from looking at the photos. Looking at the part list, appears to be some type of bracket.

JRMN

Reaction score
I have started to source parts for my rear axle because I haven't been able to find find exact parts for this swingarm.

I am having a hard time finding bearings for this type of swingarm. Every bearing seat/holder that I come across is like this.

And I need ones similar to these.

Do anyone know where I can find these type of bearing seat/holders?

mckutzy

Reaction score
After a quick look, something from a pocket bike rear adjusters might work. or you may have to get some made.

JRMN

Reaction score
Ok, I gave up looking. I am going to have someone machine me a set of bearing carriers and I need to know what material I should have them made out of. Is it safe to have them machined out of 6061 aluminum?

Oh and can someone recommend rear axle, bearings, sprocket, and sprocket hubs?

This is what I am looking for since I am running a pit bike motor:

#420 chain
36T rear sprocket
13T front sprocket

thanks in advance

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Hey, Kidsatvparts.com would most likely have those bearings. They sell parts for just about every china made atv, ect.... If you call, ask for Nick, really friendly. They have an ebay store under a different name, but they are local to me. I get to walk around in their huge storeroom. Boxes of parts to the ceiling. I was just there thursday, got a free cdi box and a pack of expensive chinese cigarettes, free with my purchase... I love these guys.....
If they don't have it, try scooterpartsforless.com or shaggydogscooters.com....

JRMN

Reaction score
For some reason I am not getting thread notifications. I talked to an xtreme typhoon owner who had some eccentric bearing/chain tensioner made out of 6061 and he said they held up pretty well. So I am having mines made out of 6061 too.

I also picked up an old axle for an ATC/TRX 70 that will be perfect for my project. This particular axle has 4 splines. The two end splines are for the wheels/hubs, and two middle splines are for the drive sprocket. I think the reason they went with two middle splines was so you could flip the axle. I have a dilemma though. If I center the swingarm on the axle, the two middle splines would be in the way of eccentric bearing/chain tensioner that I am having made.

The easy solution will be to have the middle section machined down and keyed then I could run a go kart sprocket. Personally, I would like to keep one of the splines so I can run the stock ATC/TRX 70 sprocket. How hard would it be to have the left middle spline machined and re-splined and or moved to the right? I could careless about the right middle spline. It can be machined down.

JRMN

Reaction score
Let say the spline for the sprocket is 2" long and I had half of the spline turned down to so that it was 1" long. How safe would it be for me to drive the sprocket with that 1" spline?

mckutzy

Reaction score
Why not get a 1" or what ever size fits the bearing in the cups, and go from there. Sprocket will go where ever the hub is placed and there are plenty of hubs for various rims out there, instead of rigging something to fit. I'm sure golf carts have similar hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.