• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

What Tools Do You Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
I'm just curious what the rest of ya'll use for tools out there when building things?

At the shop we mostly have Craftsman, Milwaukee, Crescent and Ryobi. We've got assorted Snap-On/Proto tools but its really a mixture.

At home I've got Craftsman, Black and Decker and some assorted Harbor Freight tools ... Central Pneumatic/Pittsburgh.

I'm not an old man just yet but I'm starting to grow a decent set of tools for my age (24). This is not asking people to post pictures though you can, I was mainly curious to what brands you trust in hand tools.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Any hand tool, craftsman or husky (for the warranty), i prefer husky over craftsman. For power tools i have a dewalt angle grinder, milwaukee chop saw, cal hawk drill press (****ty) old baldor pedastool grinder (solid cast iron), a craftsman mig welder, craftsman air compressor (was free), and a craftsman stick welder. Both craftsman welders work good, the stick is an old 230 amp ac machine.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Lincoln Electric, Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, a few Ryobi and Hitatchi.

EDIT: Specifically, Century FC welder, Lincoln welding helmet, HF: auto welding helmet, bench grinder, drill press, shop crane, random air & hand tools. Northern Tool shop press, Hitatchi angle grinder, Ryobi electric drill. I also have some craftsman tools that i inherited.

Blazkowiez

Kart Aficionado
Reaction score
Is kincrome mainly an Australian brand? Their website is an AU marker and I've never heard of them.

As far as Husky and Kobalt go (home depot and lowes) I have nothing against them but I rarely see them on sale enough for me to justify a purchase versus Craftsman. Still, its good tools but price did make a difference when I'm trying to choose against similar quality brands.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
I agree, the price difference between husky abd craftsman normally isnt worth it, i just like the feel and quality of husky better, however with a lifetime warranty quality doesnt matter as much.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
small Lincoln electric flux core welder, assorted harbor freight power tools(can't afford anything fancy like DE-walt hf stuff serves me fine, but i always get the nicer hf stuff), black and decker corded drill, couple old power tools(not sure of brand), Irwin drill bits (great!), assorted hand tools, hand saws, socket set ect not sure of brand, and decent mount of bike tools. I've got a pretty decent collection for my age (13), but the more tools the better!

redsox985

Reaction score
At home I have next to nothing useful. Where I am building my kart, at school, we have Milwaukee, Miller, Husky, Browning, and others I can't remember. The lathes, mill, drill presses, and band saws I can't remember. We have 20 ton press set up to bend 90° angles, it's a Wysong. I only know it cause it's fun to say. Lol.

Rustydog2010

NZ Nutta :|
Reaction score
At home we have, an old Cholcester lathe, Chinese Mill, Quality 2" drill press, hand tools are all Stahlwille or proton and have a life time warranty(most of these tools are 20 years old :eek: and still mint, we have broken about two sockets and they have been replaced immediately with no charge, and we play with heavy sh*t, mostly heavy diesel) and all the power tools are either Makita or Hitachi.

My old man is a firm believer in you get what you pay for. And it really does show, he had most of these tools when he started his apprenticeship (now 50) and i think when i get them, they will outlast me easily.

Edit: Oh and 2xchainsaws, 3xweedeaters, post hole boarers are all sthils or echos.
Tractors, Massey Ferguson 28hp, probably 50 years old and the Fiat 566 is 60hp diesel turbo almost 20 years old.

And it all last the time with minimal maintenance

newrider3

Reaction score
Most of my power tools are either DeWalt (great quality IMO) or HF (where I had no money). Hand tools are basically whatever I have gotten for free and found in the trash over the years, some occasional Craftsman sockets mixed in with chinese sockets, and random chinese wrenches.
Planning on picking up some full Craftsman sets soon, since I'm going to start needing them for school. I like the feel of their non-polished wrenches and ratchets. Would love to go for Snap-On, but for just a basic socket/ratchet/wrench/hammer/screwdriver set, with a 60% student discount, still runs $700. ouch.

Silvergrizz

Reaction score
Whenever available, North American quality brand name. Currently small powered hand tools are mostly Milwaukee 18 volt cordless (I know, made in China) Delta (drill press & bandsaw) or Rigid (chopsaw & stationary sander) for balance of small tools. Delta are old and made in the USA. Rigid are newer, also made in China, but lifetime warranty.

You can buy quality and have it for a lifetime, or you can replace the junk every couple of years. Replacing junk every couple of years will cost far more in your lifetime. :D

Bill CNC

Reaction score
What tools do I use, ... it's probably easier to just show you, ... than to list them. :D

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
bills pics just reminded me of my cousins uncle who owns an awesome machine shop, its got like 4 milling machine, several lathes, huge cnc machine, and all sorts of awesome stuff, only thing is that its in California so i never really have aces to it, still its awesome when i do visit him!

freakboy

the names 'mater
Reaction score
turner walker for drill press.. it probaly helped build the first house but i dont care it still works and better then my dads works horiible freight drill press...

Welders.. lincoln electric..

Hand tools Craftsman only or snap on but i cant afford that stuff so craftsman is a great alternative

Power tools i like millwalkie but i have a ryobi angle grinder that works...

Air tools i acctualy use harbor freight stuff just because its hard to mess up a air tool...

redsox985

Reaction score
Sholy hit! Bill, that's a nice set up. You must be the only one who works in there because, after seeing those photos, you're one of those people who knows where everything can be found although it's not in it's logical place. This is my mess, don't touch it.

EDIT: I just noticed that the fire extinguisher is conveniently located behind the gas grill in case there is ever a shop fire.

2nd EDIT: Your tape rolls are nicely lined up. I just saw the "Please do not touch" sign. Apparently there's others in there with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.