bookel
New member
Today I bought my first kart. Its a Yerf Dog 3206 and is pretty much bone stock. I wanted the Spider Box frame and fortunately I didn't have to wait long to find it. I am new to karts but not new to mechanics and modding. I've built a full sized VW dune buggy (Manx style). I have a Checy Luv I've done a V8 conversion so my skills are up to par I think.
I have some ideas on what I want out of my kart. First I am planning on doing an engine swap. The 7.8 Howit is nice but I want to go a little crazy. I'm thinking I can fit the HF Predator V-twin 22hp in the engine cradle (with some modification I am assuming). I also want to add reverse. I think the Howit shaft is 3/4". The Predator shaft is 1". Anyone know of parts made to accommodate the 1" shaft to make this happen? I'd also like to raise the ground clearance a bit. Are there larger wheels out there that bolt on to my original bolt pattern? Seeing I'm going to a larger engine the taller gear ratio should not be an issue. I've read that the stock suspension is a bit lacking as well as some of the steering components. I've also read that the rear axle can be a weak point on my kart. Any suggestions on bolt on upgrades in these departments? What I can't find bolt on I will probably fabricate or end up living with. I'll probably start a thread documenting my journey.
Nothing set in stone so far as engine choice but I am definitely going to be making improvements over its stock incarnation.
Again, I am new to karting so I am not aware of good resources and whatnot. Thoughts, suggestions and pointers all welcome. Thanks.
I have some ideas on what I want out of my kart. First I am planning on doing an engine swap. The 7.8 Howit is nice but I want to go a little crazy. I'm thinking I can fit the HF Predator V-twin 22hp in the engine cradle (with some modification I am assuming). I also want to add reverse. I think the Howit shaft is 3/4". The Predator shaft is 1". Anyone know of parts made to accommodate the 1" shaft to make this happen? I'd also like to raise the ground clearance a bit. Are there larger wheels out there that bolt on to my original bolt pattern? Seeing I'm going to a larger engine the taller gear ratio should not be an issue. I've read that the stock suspension is a bit lacking as well as some of the steering components. I've also read that the rear axle can be a weak point on my kart. Any suggestions on bolt on upgrades in these departments? What I can't find bolt on I will probably fabricate or end up living with. I'll probably start a thread documenting my journey.
Nothing set in stone so far as engine choice but I am definitely going to be making improvements over its stock incarnation.
Again, I am new to karting so I am not aware of good resources and whatnot. Thoughts, suggestions and pointers all welcome. Thanks.
I can see that lump making short work of you're rear swingarm with all that beef going up and down. Crack City! The 420 with no governor on the other hand with 22x11x8 rear tires would be balls out fun though! 