What size motor for my kart? I'm a little lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt50

Reaction score
I am building a wooden go kart, now rear drive, not like the front drive front engine topic says. Not gonna happen. I figure this beast of a kart may weigh over 100 pounds, it is made out of stud type wood and beams, all of which are strong and heavy. I need something with plenty of low end torque. I think I could do it with a 5 horse, but it would be lugging, and I would have to keep my foot planted to the floor. I'm thinking something between 8 and 13 horsepower {vertical shaft tractor engine} would give me enough power to get up to speed with some reserve power on the top end. I need to be able to get out of sticky situations. I know, I know, gears make all the difference, but I'm just going to use a couple of pulleys and a belt. I want raw power. What do you guys think. What engine {even a specific make} would you reccomend? If you need to know more to give me an answer, please let me know.

matt50

Reaction score
yeah but what size just approx. I think I could get up to like a 14 hp twin in my weight limit. thats vertical shaft of course, and I may not use and gears, just pulleys, but this is early. I just want to get a powerplant squared away.

Last edited:

matt50

Reaction score
I won't reposition it. I will put a small pulley on the engine shaft {making the pulley lined up horizontally} and a bigger pulley on the drive axle {making the pulley lined up vertically. I will cross the pulley to make it work.

matt50

Reaction score
like an 8 or a 10 horse stock motor? I'm planning on maybe putting some straight pipes on after its done, would increase the hp a bit.

matt50

Reaction score
No, my frame will look nothing like that. It is cool though. I think a 15 to 22 horse would be too big and heavy for my kart. Shipping on those things is brutal too if you buy on ebay. I am still looking for a whole lawnmower I could gut for parts. Do you think something between 8 and 14 hp couldn't pull this thing along fine at 15 to 20 mph. 20 would be my aim for top speed. Higher speed would be "cool", but I won't need it for what I'm doing. Am I underestimating.

Status
Not open for further replies.