What push/riding mower parts can be used ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beakersloco

New member
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Greenville,NC
Im new to this and have a cart that I am going to be working on. It is going to need brakes (currently has broken scrub brakes). I also haul off scrap metal.

I scrapped a push mower and a riding mower a few weeks ago not thinking that there may have been parts I should have pulled for my cart. I actually should have grabbed the air cleaner as my cart needs a new one. I expect to pick up a riding mower in a few days. Its a craftsman 19 hp,42 in cut.

I was told that the steering gears are messed up and the carb swapped out with a messed up one from another mower and but otherwise the the engine should be good if rebuild it or put another carb on it. Part of me is tempted to fix it and sell it but ...

What stuff off a riding mower should I grab for potential use on a go kart ?

Thanks
 

sexyvicta

New member
Messages
806
Reaction score
2
never ever scrap a lawnmower.

they are almost always worth more as parts / easy to fix.

i make heaps of money out of buying 'broken' mowers and then fixing and selling
 

Beakersloco

New member
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Greenville,NC
Thanks guys .... Im unemployed and with the last one the wheels were flat, the block had a hole in it and I had a trailer full of stuff and I was not thinking to pull any parts as I needed to get the trailer cleared because I had more stuff to pickup. This time I plan to try evaluate the mower and pull parts for ebay.
 

Beakersloco

New member
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Greenville,NC
Picked up mower and previous owner hacked up the dash area because he steering is tore up. I am going to pull it apart and try to craigslist and ebay to get rid of stuff before I scrap it.

Im torn on the engine as the PO said it was good but needs a carb. He gave me the messed up carb. Decisions ... decisions .... decisions ......
 

porsche930dude

New member
Messages
906
Reaction score
29
Location
Upstate, NY
heck yea a running mowing ride on is worth atleast 150$ anywhere. I pick up push mowers and get them running and sell them for 20-30$ weekly. As for kart parts. Not a whole lot. The old rear engined riders have the best parts as they have smaller wheels good for karts. The ones with peerless differentials and divorced transmission are the best. the diffs are great for karts and the tranny can be sold for 75$ easy. Racing mower people eat them up. But definatly theyre mostly just good for parts to fix other mowers. So if youve got the storage space you can do that or just sell off the good bits. Youll get way more than scrapping them for sure :thumbsup:
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
Hot mower item on ebay is the electric start motor. I also done well on manifolds, carbs and mufflers. The trans may sale well depending on the kind. You will end up scraping most of it though. I done best with the big twin briggs.
 

Bluethunder3320

New member
Messages
5,677
Reaction score
38
the craftsman steering is fine, you just have to add washers like i did. clean them while your at it and re-grease when your done.



turn it into a race mower. just flip over the engine pulley and it will go faster. take the deck off.
 

Clayton

New member
Messages
294
Reaction score
0
Location
Saskatchewan, Canada
well mine would skip over gears when i turned the wheel while not rolling.

now it hasnt skipped at all since i put the extra washers in.

Depends on how much power your kart has, friend had a 18hp kohler twin in his kart with mower steering (craftsman) and it would break cogs off the gears some times. The kool thing about mower steering is that you can flip that one peice (can't think of name) upside down and then you have a drop axle.
 

Beakersloco

New member
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Location
Greenville,NC
Thanks ... I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with it and poof another person called me to pick up there yardman 16.5 mower yesterday that they said it just would not do anything. Played with it and the issue is between the switch and the starter as if I put juice to the starter the motor will spin but not crank. I roll it off the trailer next to craftsman yesterday evening.

So this morning I get a call from a neighbor who has a friend that works on mowers and the guy wants to buy both mowers as they sit so I made a quick $80.

Thanks guys.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top