What kind of sled engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Okay guys, I've been reading all the raves about the snowmobile engines on karts and I'm drinking the kool-aid. But I'm not sure which models to check out on craigslist or exactly how to plan this out. There's a lot of sleds for sale in Pennsylvania. When I was a kid there was a ton of snow (and sleds)... but no more. you can find them for sale most everywhere. But most of those old sleds don't have reverse or electric start and I want both of those things.

Which popular models would have both those things? I'm thinking 440cc or greater 2 stroke.

Also, I want to do a swingarm layout with the engine mounted to the frame and not the swingarm. To do that (normally), you put the drive sprocket right behind the seat near the pivot of the swingarm. Seems like most sled engines have a huge exhaust in front, with the engine behind it, and the driven behind that. That's backwards of what I need! I guess that I can drive a chain/jackshaft from the rear to the front if I can find the right engine, but it's not ideal.

Thanks guys!

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Look for a 2up touring sled. Best chance at e start amd rev. I believe polaris has an engine that you actually start in reverse to go backwards. Thats prolly your best option.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Thank you. Guess I'll watch craigslist and know about what to look for. What it will come down to is asking each and every ad if they have electric start and reverse.

When I do start this, I'll probably have to put a jackshaft in for my drive sprocked and link it back to the output shaft of the snowmobile drive. Would want to gear it down maybe 3:1 to prepare for some normal size sprockets on my drive chain. For that jackshaft link, what do you think would be better, chain or belt - maybe even a double belt?

that's going to be quite a bit of horsepower. Want to minimize maintenance and slack in the whole drive train....

dave1701

Good for 100,000 Miles
Reaction score
Where do you live? up in northern michigan, you can just go by some guy's junk pile and by one cheap off of him

Status
Not open for further replies.