What kind of range does my Kart have?

l008com

Reaction score
This is kind of an odd question. But I've had this go kart for 20 years. I used to cut trails very close to my grandmothers house and drive it around them. Then in more recent times, I occasionally drive it around my own neighorhood on the street in the snow. That's about it, not much use. I've never taken it into any "real" woods.

So I'm wondering what kind of range I would expect to get on a full single tank of gas? I have no "long distance" driving history on this thing to even make an estimate.

I can give you some stats to go off of though:
It's a Manco Dingo single seater.
It has a 6.5HP Subaru Robin engine. Whatever the standard tank size is, that's what I have. I'm thinking its maybe half a gallon or three quarters.
Figure driving on fairly well groomed fire roads. Some modest hills but nothing crazy. And little to know 'crawling' through technical trails.
Also not wide open throttle. Fast-ish but not like out of control fast. With no suspension, a few bumps really send this thing out of control easily.
Oh and I weigh about lets say 160lbs all geared up.

Any thoughts on what kind of range I might expect given that? I'm thinking about taking it on a long-ish trail and I want to make sure I'm able to bring more than enough fuel to make it home.

IMG_0343.JPG

l008com

Reaction score
According to google, new versions of the motor hold 0.85 gallons, about 110 fl oz. So figure mine holds about that, about three quarters of a gallon.

Rat

Reaction score
According to google, new versions of the motor hold 0.85 gallons, about 110 fl oz. So figure mine holds about that, about three quarters of a gallon.
Well it's a less than ideal comparison since the base power on my 208 was higher than your little birdie, and it's far from stock with a 4ltr (1.2 gallon) tank to suck on.

I get right around 30mpg with a majority portion of that being WOT on asphalt mountain roads... total combined weight of right around 320lbs
(I weight 210 when fully dressed for the big slide)

A babied bone stock 196cc is probably closer to 40/45

Personally with such a small fuel capacity, I would have already weld on a set of parallel bars and added a pair of stock predator tanks above the exsisting tank then used a pair of Y-barbs to tie the three tanks together with independent inline shut offs on at least the upper pair.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
This is kind of an odd question. But I've had this go kart for 20 years. I used to cut trails very close to my grandmothers house and drive it around them. Then in more recent times, I occasionally drive it around my own neighorhood on the street in the snow. That's about it, not much use. I've never taken it into any "real" woods.

So I'm wondering what kind of range I would expect to get on a full single tank of gas? I have no "long distance" driving history on this thing to even make an estimate.

I can give you some stats to go off of though:
It's a Manco Dingo single seater.
It has a 6.5HP Subaru Robin engine. Whatever the standard tank size is, that's what I have. I'm thinking its maybe half a gallon or three quarters.
Figure driving on fairly well groomed fire roads. Some modest hills but nothing crazy. And little to know 'crawling' through technical trails.
Also not wide open throttle. Fast-ish but not like out of control fast. With no suspension, a few bumps really send this thing out of control easily.
Oh and I weigh about lets say 160lbs all geared up.

Any thoughts on what kind of range I might expect given that? I'm thinking about taking it on a long-ish trail and I want to make sure I'm able to bring more than enough fuel to make it home.

View attachment 144840
Well it's a less than ideal comparison since the base power on my 208 was higher than your little birdie, and it's far from stock with a 4ltr (1.2 gallon) tank to suck on.

I get right around 30mpg with a majority portion of that being WOT on asphalt mountain roads... total combined weight of right around 320lbs
(I weight 210 when fully dressed for the big slide)

A babied bone stock 196cc is probably closer to 40/45

Personally with such a small fuel capacity, I would have already weld on a set of parallel bars and added a pair of stock predator tanks above the exsisting tank then used a pair of Y-barbs to tie the three tanks together with independent inline shut offs on at least the upper pair.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
My brother had the 285 like you. Off road our trips never exceeded 15 miles but we were doing hills, mud, creeks. 2 hr run time.

l008com

Reaction score
Do you know roughly how much of a tank full you used in those 15 miles?

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I do remember most of it is all. But we played a lot on our trips. That was over 30 years ago. Figure out your runtime per tank full and go from there.

l008com

Reaction score
I can't imagine sitting in this thing being bounced around for more than 2 hours. And even a round-about route would be under 15 miles I think. So a full tank should be plenty. And if I can carry a 1 gallon can as backup, I should be totally set, more than enough fuel.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
A gx200 style powered 3000 Watt generator would consume about 1.25 liters per hour at 75% load.

0.75 gallons is about 2.75 liters.

So as a ballpark guess, say 1.75 hours at 17.5 mph?

About 30 miles on 0.75 gallons seems reasonable.

The cool thing is that people make 6.5HP cars and trucks that get 40-50 miles per gallon. I guess it depends on city/highway and the weight of your foot.