What is the stock or base ignition timing on a non-hemi 212 Predator engine

Jimbo67

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting information on the stock ignition timing on a non hemi 212 predator engine. I'm finding on some searches it is 20 BTDC and on other searches it is 22 BTDC. Can anyone confirm what the actual number is?

Thanks

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Only you can confirm what your own ignition timing is. I would have said 24 but I've never even owned a non-hemi. I'm sure I didn't spend very much on the cheap timing light I have, but you don't need a timing light unless you NEED to be very specific. All you need is a degree wheel (which you can print for free and stick to some cardboard). After finding top dead center, you can turn the flywheel to its firing position. You can use a piston stop to find top dead center, but you can probably eyeball where TDC is +/- 1.5 degree just by looking at the piston move through the spark plug hole while you rock the flywheel back and forth.

Without a timing light, set the flywheel magnet about where it is in the picture. That is about the firing point. The leading edge of the magnet is centered under the upper leg of the coil and the trailing edge of the magnet has just passed the lower leg of the coil.

Eyeball method will only give you +/- 2.5 degrees at best. But it will tell you 26 +/-2 degrees or 23 +/-2 or 20 +/2 degrees. And if you measure a bunch of times and take an average, your +/- 2 degrees becomes much smaller.

With a piston stop, you can probably get closer to +/- 1.5 degree.

If you NEED to know better than +/- 1.5 degree, then you probably need a piston stop and a timing light. And even with a timing light, your accuracy depends on how thin of a line you can draw and how well you can draw a corresponding line while the engine is running and you are holding the timing light in your other hand. I imagine people with plenty of experience can only get about +/- 0.5 degrees.

BTW, ARC's Honda, Clone, and Predator flywheels are set at 32 degrees. This is accomplished by offsetting the keyway 8 degrees. They describe their older flywheels with straight up keyways as 24 degree flywheels.

Attachments

• 11A213A2-9207-46A3-8B8F-3554E1BAE875.jpg
    11A213A2-9207-46A3-8B8F-3554E1BAE875.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Jimbo67

Reaction score
Thanks for the well written reply!

I went ahead and ordered a degree wheel and TDC gauge. I reckon the best way is to go ahead and check with a timing light once I degree the engine.

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Let us know what you find. BTW if you got a cheap light like I did, one of the main complaints was that the light was dim. I used mine in the house spinning it with a drill. I connected the power leads of mine to a 12V trickle charger and it worked well enough.

But I'd recommend using it in the garage, or shade, if possible. It might not work well in full sun.

Jimbo67

Reaction score
So I used a degree wheel and TDC locator to find TDC then set up a pointer. Then I started the engine and used a timing light to check the base timing on a relatively new 212 Predator. I'm showing exactly 21 degrees BTDC.

Attachments

• 212 engine.jpg
    212 engine.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 212 pointer.jpg
    212 pointer.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Good stuff. And not sure if you are aware or not... these ignition systems will retard timing as rpms increase.
Timing can start to retard around 4k rpm and can retard as much as 8 degrees at 8k rpm.

A modified engine (with advanced timing) might fire at 32 degrees before top dead center from 1500 rpms to around 4k rpms. Increase rpm to 8,000 and now the engine might fire at 24 degrees before top dead center. A 32 degree engine might fire at 28 degrees at 6k rpm.