What is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
went and bought this thing. I aint got a clue what it is. $100.00 probably got screwed. it will be a good project for me and my grandson. I was thinking about putting a new 212 predator on it but don't know if it will work or have enough for this heavy of a kart. trying to send pics. I have 2 18? hp kohlers off of old cub cadet mowers with horizontal shafts that might work also.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
It has a GY6 on it.

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Looks like the fan shroud is missing, but parts for GY6 are cheap if it will run.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
it has two shifters. fan shroud huh. I couldn't tell you I don't know nuthin about them. I know this sounds real dumb but should you be able to turn the fan with ease. will a 6.5 hf engine work with a few frame mods and geared right.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
If the fan turns then the engine is turning over, but you should be able to feel the compression of the engine as long as the fan isn't stripped out. It attaches to the end of the crank. Stock gy6 has 8-9hp and revs much higher than a 212 predator, so if the gy6 could be fixed it wiuld be better and faster and looks like it would have reverse too. Have you looked over the engine yet? Check for spark, missing pieces, anything broken. They aren't hard to work on, the biggest challenge is that many of the gy6 motors are installed onto a very tight spot in the kart and have little space to work on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
Yeah its a tight fit i would have to take it out wouldnt mind rebuilding it if possible. If its turning the crankshaft it has no compression. I can turn it with two fingers in the fan. It has a spark plug in it so it should show some sign of compression. I will get it home and mess with it this weekend and see if i get fire. At the plug wire. If theres no compression i will stop there and go another route. What would be any of the kill switch wires to so i can eliminate that.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
Maybe the fan isn't turning the crank. Try putting 12v to the starter and see if it's got compression. There is usually a key switch and a sometimes a kill switch in the dash area of the kart, not aware of other locations but there always could be something else. If it needs work the parts are super cheap. You can get a new cylinder, piston, piston rings, and gaskets for $30. A head with valves and everything is only around $30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
I think that's a heck of a find for a Benjamin.

Hydraulic brakes and rack and pinion steering, no less. That's a buggy.

Bwdeaton

Reaction score
I think that's a heck of a find for a Benjamin.

Hydraulic brakes and rack and pinion steering, no less. That's a buggy.

Yes that's a pretty good find for the price.
I think the least amount of work would be repairing the gy6, as an engine swap would be more expensive and more time consuming.

Hellion

Reaction score
I'll take it the GY6 engine has been positively ID'ed. But do we know what the kart is?

I took the obvious route and Gewgled "JEHM" and came up with a few references to JEHM Powersports and a current product lineup (ATVs not buggies).

I then compared photos and I think this buggy may be known as an ATK 150.

http://www.familygokarts.com/pdf/manuals/jehm/ATK%20150/ATK_1502r_owners_manual.pdf
http://www.familygokarts.com/pdf/manuals/jehm/ATK%20150/ATK_1502r_parts_list_05.pdf

Your buggy is probably about 10-11 years old.

kenworth85

Grouchy old man
Reaction score
Thank you for the information does'nt look to bad to work on. Got to looking at it today. It would take a lot of fabrication to put a predator on it.

Hellion

Reaction score
...It would take a lot of fabrication to put a predator on it.

Although we like and love the Predator and its low cost, it's not the answer to everything. :p

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned a refurb kit for the GY6 as the lowest cost option for this endeavor. $30.00 was it? Rebuild that sucker!

There's your dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.