What is a jack shaft? Manco 415-391

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx7750680

Reaction score
I think I have a Manco 415-391 go kart. On the exploded view parts drawing, it shows a jack shaft with sprockets and stuff. Can this be deleted and just use a sprocket, chain and clutch?

What is the function of a jackshaft?

Thnaks, Jason

brycedevore

Reaction score
the motor connects to the clutch and the clutch connects to the jackshaft the jackshaft is connected to the axle by the chain when the motor moves the clutch the jackshaft moves witch then moves the axel

tx7750680

Reaction score
Do i need to have a jack shaft? From the drawing, it looks like I bolt the drive wheel, sprocket and brake drum together and the chain runs off the clutch and that makes the wheel turn and the go kart go.

Here are pictures of my kart

Attachments

• go1.jpg
    go1.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
  • GO KART.jpg
    GO KART.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 19
  • GO KART 2.jpg
    GO KART 2.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 23

youtheotube2

Anonymous Coward
Reaction score
The jackshaft can be used to accommodate a torque convertor. If you dont want that, you can get rid of it and put a clutch and axle sprocket directly. Just make sure to keep the gear ratio.

qtband

Reaction score
You can certainly omit the jackshaft but you have to be very careful of your sprocket sizes. You have to consider if you want speed or take-off power (torque). Do you have any sprockets or a clutch now? And what is the diameter of your tires?

tx7750680

Reaction score
I was calling it a jack shaft but the parts list calls it a chassis speed reducer. Is it the same thing.

I was going to use a stock Manco sprocket, I have the engine a 212cc Predator but have not go a clutch yet.

Thanks, Jason

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
A jackshaft is used for compound gear reduction. Sometimes it is not practical to go directly from clutch to sprocket due to tyre size and gearing. To gear low, you might need a sprocket that is so large that it will scrape on the ground. You then need a jackshaft.

A jackshaft can also be used to accomodate a TC (like someone above mentioned).

You are going to want tp gear your kart at least 6:1 or maybe slightly lower (7:1). What is the tooth count on your axle at the moment??

manco415

Reaction score
i have a 415 and it dont have a jackshaft so you should be good to run clutch to drice sproket

tx7750680

Reaction score
I have a 60 tooth sprocket for a #35 chain its a stock Manco spec sprocket. I do not have a clutch yet. My Engine will be a 6.5 Predator so any advice on the clutch would be great.

Im pretty sure I have a Manco 415-391 but the head rest on the roll cage does not look like other 414-391 I have seen. any help on that would be great also.

Thanks

manco415

Reaction score
its a 415 i have the older model and id go with a 12 tooth clutch you could go about 30

Status
Not open for further replies.