What I need to make an off road go kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Hi,
I understand that I need to get an off road kart now and I'm interested in trying to make my own.

Can someone please give me a list of parts I would need, and a quick summary of what each part does. Also what I need to do to an engine to make the throttle be controlled by a foot peddle.

Also, what is a good plan to use? I want something simple to make, but also strong. I will most likely be putting either a Honda GX200 (6.5hp, 196cc) or it's clone on it.

Thankyou, I appreciate everyone's help a lot :)

brendonv

Reaction score
Tools you will need:
A welder
Grinder
Drill
Spanners (obviously)
Screw Drivers (obviously)

Parts:
Engine: I recommend the GX200 clone or real one if you can afford it.

Steel: About 7 or so metres of it.
If u use tubing u will need a pipe bender so square pipe is the way to go IMO.

Seat: U might be able to get this for free.

Tires: This is probably the most expensive part. U need wheels with good bearings. Dont go for bunnings wheels, there bearings are rated to like 25kph and for the same price or less u can get proper ones from a proper tire dealer. I got mine from a store that sells castors and trolley tires.

Now u need to think about steering. That part ill leave up to you, look at many other peoples builds and see how they do it. You can really make the steering with lots of different stuff, just look at mine! XD

Now think about your drive, u want live axle for offroad for good traction. U need to get a sprocket and brake disc to fit it. U get sprocket holders to slip on with a keyway. Look on ebay or a local kart shop for this. The axle is the hard part as ur kart might not be that size the axle they sell is so get your axle first then build ur kart width to the axle size so u dont have to make one on the lathe like i have too. Get your tires, axle, sprocket holder, sprocket and brake disc first then build your frame so it works out better. Trust me, getting it once the kart is built is a nightmare!

For your back axle you also need bearing holders to hold the axle to the frame. Remember the back tires need to move with the wheel so think about that, you can tack weld the axle to the wheel but u can do it other ways.

Then u need spindles for the turning on ur front wheels, as ur wheels need to pivot, look at others and my build for ideas on that.

Hope that helps ya.
From Brendon.v

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Thanks so much. Can you please just check this summary :)

-I need axle with a gear welded with a chain going to the engine. -I need brakes (I'm not very familiar with how disc brakes work).
-I need wheels that will fit the axle.
-I need all the steel, the seat.
-A steering wheel set up
-Pedals (in a hinge?) with springs to make them go back into place
-And an engine

How do I go about making the throttle and brakes controlled by the pedals?

I'm not that familiar with this type of stuff, but I've been researching it all and I'm trying to learn :)

brendonv

Reaction score
Well basically on ur carby on ur engine u have a little lever and when u pull it it revs. So all u do it connect a bike cable or something like that to the lever and the other end to a part on the pedal so wen u push the pedal it pulls the cable. Same thing on the brake caliper, it has a little lever.

This is the brake kit i bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=320313258484&Category=64657

I ordered it 2 days ago so should be here in a week and a half or so.

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
ok, so I'm getting it a bit now (I think). The rear wheels join onto a gear hub, that hooks onto a gear which connects with a chain to the clutch on your engine. Then with the brakes, you join the brake disc to the axle, then when you put the brakes on, a caliper stops the brake disc from spinning therefor stopping the axle from spinning. Am I right? Rather then use the key whatever, could I just weld the brake disc to the axle?

(Don't be surprised if any of that is completely wrong)

and btw, you videos are very good. You know a lot about this kind of stuff it by the sounds of it.

brendonv

Reaction score
you are correct. You could weld the disc on but if u want to move it or make little adjustments in the future ur fudged. U can buy 34" or 36" long shafts off the net that have a keyway right through em. You can also buy the wheels and sprocket to suit the axle. Just look on ebay man, stevbmi has tuns of go kart parts so look there. The only problem is the aussie dollar is poo atm so ur gonna get pinned with high prices. Luckily my dads good mate has a CNC lathe and milling machine and hes gonna make me my axle for free. XD

Making **** yourself is a lot cheaper 95% of the time, having said that, sprockets, hubs and axles are cheaper to buy unless ur like me. Spindles, steering columns and frames are cheaper to make yourself.

Anddddd ur not suppose to no a lot about go karts when u have never been interested in them b4. No one does! Thats the wonderful thing about the internet. Its like a big book! It took me a couple of months of looking at others builds and reading threads and websites to learn everything i have about karts. 3 months ago i couldnt tell u one thing about them, now im pretty good at it.

So u will learn man.
Good luck.
From Brendon.v

NOTE: Its called a sprocket not gear. So it goes, sprocket on clutch to sprocket which is on the axle fitted by a hub. The most common ratios for go karts is 1:5 and 1:6 ratios. So if ur clutch had 10T to get a 1:6 ratio u would have to put a 60T sprocket on the axle. Get it? 1:5 ratio= more top speed, less acceleration 6:1= more acceleration, less top speed. Im running a 5.5:1 ratio so im in the middle of the too so i get a bit of both. XD Im running 11 to 60. 60/11=5.45' so about a 5.5:1 ratio.

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
Hello,
Would this engine be good (link below). It's a 13hp, it's about 50 minutes drive away from me, and it's only $165. Dimensions are in the link, is it to big? Would it be a lot more powerful then a gx200?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/13-hp-stationary-engine-for-go-kart-buggy-mower-pump_W0QQitemZ250362278546QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Gardening_Equipment?hash=item250362278546&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Joshmcmillan

Reaction score
oh ok. I have another question about the brakes. What holds the the bit that clamps shut on the disc? Like to stop it spinning with the axle?

*EDIT* Also, is 1" a good size to get everything at? How hard would it be to get a 1" sprocket hub, axle and wheels?

Kenny_McCormic

Kartless....
Reaction score
I know that your in Austrailia, try getting 20 and 25mm clutches or CVT driver pulleys. They dont exist. The motor is a Japanese design, and uses metric bolts and such. But Honda doesnt make em with metric shafts that I know of for the above reason.

BradenM

Etre Et Durer.
Reaction score
I know that your in Austrailia, try getting 20 and 25mm clutches or CVT driver pulleys. They dont exist. The motor is a Japanese design, and uses metric bolts and such. But Honda doesnt make em with metric shafts that I know of for the above reason.

You can get a clutch to suit a 25mm shaft, but only if you want to pay $200 for it. Thats right, $200 for a clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.