What fell off my engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scatteredsun

Member
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Location
Seattle
Got my engine mounted and running. Last thing I did was connect my throttle.

It was idling along and I heard something fall. This scew/spring thing was on the ground. Not sure where it came from and I don't see any obvious place it came from. Looked in the manual and didn't see an obvious match.
 

Attachments

  • 20180427_190236_resized.jpg
    20180427_190236_resized.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 17
Messages
357
Reaction score
7
Location
Dallas, TX
Looks like just the throttle stop screw. Screws in so that it hold the throttle handle from opening all the way. Look for a threaded hole very close to the throttle assembly.

—Dan
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
it's the "low" end stop...
it's the goto solution to quickly adjust the idle speed
(by opening the butterfly a hair)

So no, he should keep it ;)

'sid
 

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Messages
9,646
Reaction score
1,859
Location
Chicago-town USA
it's the "low" end stop...
it's the goto solution to quickly adjust the idle speed
(by opening the butterfly a hair)

So no, he should keep it ;)

'sid

That sets the limit for "max" throttle (absolute max throttle is Fixed by the tab cast onto the carb).
Low end throttle stop is the idle speed adjustment screw on the carb (absolute min throttle is Fixed by the other tab cast onto the carb).

I was wondering if removing the adjustable max throttle stop might bend likanges or crack plastic butterfly valve components by pulling/pushing too hard against the tab on the carb.
 

Attachments

  • F749311A-C513-4322-9AE0-D2DD2A509D69.jpg
    F749311A-C513-4322-9AE0-D2DD2A509D69.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 1992A402-ACCD-42A9-9399-9671FBEDE528.jpg
    1992A402-ACCD-42A9-9399-9671FBEDE528.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 4

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
Oh right.. I'd sworn it'd sit the other way around..

In this case... it doesn't make much sense on a go kart/mini bike ..
the aforementioned tab should keep the butterfly at 90°
the only thing that scew would do is to adjust that in case the butterfly overshoots slightly
(which frankly on chinese cast carbs is a possibility ;))

since frankly limiting the throttle is likely unwanted
(and even ruining the clutch in case it's set way too low)

So I'm a bit biased towards keeping the screw in (and set up properly)
but I don't think you could actually damage your butterfly if it gets lost.

'sid
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top