• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

What do you Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_shot

Reaction score
So late last night i was looking for any good books to read for reference or even just interesting when it comes too all things to do with mechanical engineering.

And i ended up getting "Auto Repair For Dummies" :lolgoku: Got too start somewhere is suppose:eek:

So maybe a good idea to start a thread on literature listing what you all read/ have read and found invaluable? I know books are a bit last century but I certainly like to read paper and get my eyes rested a bit :cool:

so could maybe Let the thread run and see if it picks up momentum?

Go on Whats on your bookshelf :thumbsup:??

FatCat

2 stroke Addict!
Reaction score
Dave Ramsey books. This guy does books about finances. I've read all of his books. Will give you a new outlook on how money works. Will change your life if you have any sense. I've wanted to recommend this guy to this forum. Just havnt found the place for it. Lots if young guys here could spare themselves a lot of pain. Us older kids. Some of us have bitten or are biting the dust right now. That's no fun. Never to late to change yourself. Great reads though. The main subject is money but it'll work it's way around other parts of your life. Great brain food.

machinist@large

Reaction score
So late last night i was looking for any good books to read for reference or even just interesting when it comes too all things to do with mechanical engineering.

And i ended up getting "Auto Repair For Dummies" :lolgoku: Got too start somewhere is suppose:eek:

So maybe a good idea to start a thread on literature listing what you all read/ have read and found invaluable? I know books are a bit last century but I certainly like to read paper and get my eyes rested a bit :cool:

so could maybe Let the thread run and see if it picks up momentum?

Go on Whats on your bookshelf :thumbsup:??

Dave Ramsey books. This guy does books about finances. I've read all of his books. Will give you a new outlook on how money works. Will change your life if you have any sense. I've wanted to recommend this guy to this forum. Just havnt found the place for it. Lots if young guys here could spare themselves a lot of pain. Us older kids. Some of us have bitten or are biting the dust right now. That's no fun. Never to late to change yourself. Great reads though. The main subject is money but it'll work it's way around other parts of your life. Great brain food.

Both good reads; I've glanced at "Auto Repair", but since I have manuals for most everything we have on the family farm, I've never bought it.

FatCat; While I don't own every book Mr. Ramsey's written, I have taken the "Financial Peace University" class. I'm down to just the mortgage and my consolidation loan; when the consol. loan goes away, I'll start to breath again.

Now that FatCat has broached the subject, I'll add this; debt is evil. It may be a necessary evil, but it's still evil. Pay cash, or go without. All the adds that claim you're worthless unless you have all the newest shiny stuff are the dark side trying to suck you in.

Scott, some of the things I've been reading are from your side of the pond; Classic Plant & Machinery, Tractor, Tractor& Machinery (2 separate magazines), Old Engine, et al..

From this side of the pond; Farm collector, Gas Engine, Heritage Iron, Antique Power, Wheels of Time, etc.....

Reading paper is old school; but it doesn't use any power (other than the light you need to see by), no batteries to die out; heck, it'll even survive a little water!!!

I guess you could say that we humans are writing our own evolution as we go; we like books over "E-whatever" because we've had (at least) a couple of Centuries to adapt to what we have created.:thumbsup:

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
A few years ago, when I was first getting interested in go karts, I bought a book from Ron Champion. Build your own off-road buggy for under 100 (GBP). He also made one about building your own racecar.

http://www.ronchampion.net/

Yup! I got that one! Good info to start out with!

What do I read (when I read)? I like detective fiction. Robert B. Parker's series of Spenser stories are at the top of my list, which also includes Sue Grafton, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich and Carl Hiaasen. For a walk on the wacky side, I'll read Douglas Adams or Kurt Vonnegut.

My other passion? You're gonna laugh. Service manuals. Yeah. I will download manuals for engines and equipment that interests me, even if I down't own one, and read it. Yeah, I know- I'm bent...

machinist@large

Reaction score
Yup! I got that one! Good info to start out with!

What do I read (when I read)? I like detective fiction. Robert B. Parker's series of Spenser stories are at the top of my list, which also includes Sue Grafton, James Patterson, Janet Evanovich and Carl Hiaasen. For a walk on the wacky side, I'll read Douglas Adams or Kurt Vonnegut.

My other passion? You're gonna laugh. Service manuals. Yeah. I will download manuals for engines and equipment that interests me, even if I down't own one, and read it. Yeah, I know- I'm bent...

:lolgoku::funnypost: OOOOHHHH!!!! I'mm doing the Happy Dance!!!!!! I'm NOT the only one!!!!

I learned how to read in the "READ OR DIE!!!" program; and since I've survived all the :censored: that's been handed me along the way, reading the manuals for what ever machine's I'm running is interesting stuff (how else are you to learn how to get the most out of the machine in front of you?).

Reading is Awesome!! Reading is FUN!!! If you think reading is worthless, try surviving with out it!!!

:popcorn::wai::roflol::idea2:

Last edited:

OzFab

Reaction score
A few years ago, when I was first getting interested in go karts, I bought a book from Ron Champion. Build your own off-road buggy for under 100 (GBP). He also made one about building your own racecar.

http://www.ronchampion.net/

That book is what brought me here (well, sort of).

I'd bought a model engine, intending to build it myself. My daughter saw it & asked if she could help. In the process, she saw an ad for the book on the back of the manual & asked if we could build a go kart. The rest is history...

As for what I read: Not much. I can read rather well, I simply don't enjoy it much. I do most of my reading here these days.

There's only about half a dozen books in my bookshelf: Lord of The Rings (of course) & The Hobbit & Automotive Mechanics (reference books from my apprenticeship). I also have large binders from other courses I've done over the years.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
Can I assume that "Lord Of The Rings" is part of the same series as "Master Of The Valves" and that excellent book on porting, who's title eludes me?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
I'm not one for reading. I hardly have the attention span to watch an entire movie, much less read an entire book. Just puts me to sleep.

Can I assume that "Lord Of The Rings" is part of the same series as "Master Of The Valves" and that excellent book on porting, who's title eludes me?

:roflol:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I love reading, and I read often. I generally like detective, spy, thriller type books. I do however only read books that are pretty old. I prefer books that were written before the 70's. They are cleaner, and have better story lines than the newer books you find these days. Some of the authors I read are Hammond Innes, Geofrey Jenkins and Desmond Bagley. I also have the whole collection of Agatha Christie books. They are the best! I also have all the Sherlock Holmes books that were ever written.

I also enjoy books by Jules Verne (Journey to the center of the earth, Twnty thousand leagues under the sea) , Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (The lost world). They are also great reading

scott_shot

Reaction score
All good stuff Guys, im sure people will get some ideas i certainly have :D

As for reading service manuals Toystory, Great idea i think that would really be something enjoy :cheers2: Always wanted to be a mechanic but stupidly i found beer and girls and ended up in dead end jobs like shops and a groundskeepers b*atch:mad:

Some interesting non mechanical books that i do indeed want too check out, Got to state that im just a young Pup, My reading growing up was things like the anarchist cookbook, celtic football club annuals and anything with bikini clad women on cars :lolgoku:

But im feeling like ive gone from 22 too 40 these days and certainly noticed a change, for instance past 2 years had my head in books by Bear grylls, Ray meers some poker stratgey that kind of thing. Only when i turned 23 i decided too put my foot down and get into all things mechanical my own way:idea2:
Fate would have it this has led me here :D

Status
Not open for further replies.