What Do I Have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droptopfiveo

Reaction score
Can you all assist me with identifying my kart?

Attachments

• 20171030_172631.jpg
    20171030_172631.jpg
    797.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20171030_172656.jpg
    20171030_172656.jpg
    788.1 KB · Views: 27

Droptopfiveo

Reaction score
Dustin,

The plan is to possibly restore it if I can find a hydronic disc brake to mount to the right rear tire. Option #2 would be to install a live axle on the kart and install a mechanical disc brake. if neither of those pan out I can sell this cart and purchase one with a live axle.

Hellion,

Yes my plan is to stamp a metal tag with the Kart's maker and screw it to the frame or floor of the Kart.

Thanks for the info, I will keep you all posted on progress. As you can see I've already installed a predator 212 which I will have to put a governor on for my 9 year daughter's use.

anickode

Reaction score
Dustin,

The plan is to possibly restore it if I can find a hydronic disc brake to mount to the right rear tire. Option #2 would be to install a live axle on the kart and install a mechanical disc brake. if neither of those pan out I can sell this cart and purchase one with a live axle.

Hellion,

Yes my plan is to stamp a metal tag with the Kart's maker and screw it to the frame or floor of the Kart.

Thanks for the info, I will keep you all posted on progress. As you can see I've already installed a predator 212 which I will have to put a governor on for my 9 year daughter's use.

You might consider fiddling with the gearing instead of limiting the revs on the engine. Centrifugal clutches tend to wear out pretty quickly if they aren't run at high throttle (3000+ rpm) most of the time, because they slip.

Droptopfiveo

Reaction score
You might consider fiddling with the gearing instead of limiting the revs on the engine. Centrifugal clutches tend to wear out pretty quickly if they aren't run at high throttle (3000+ rpm) most of the time, because they slip.

Good Call, what do you recommend for less low end higher top speed.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Dustin,

The plan is to possibly restore it if I can find a hydronic disc brake to mount to the right rear tire. Option #2 would be to install a live axle on the kart and install a mechanical disc brake. if neither of those pan out I can sell this cart and purchase one with a live axle...

Haha, you iz a funny guy!

None of those options are “restoring” it. That’s the realm of modification. I don’t mean to rake you over the coals or anything but words is words. Maybe you used the wrong ones? :p

Hydronic (Hydraulic) brakes huh?
I would never install hydraulic brakes on a yard kart. Make that a one-wheel-peel yard kart that is also a chintzy “two seater”. Just the wrong foundation from the get-go.

My advice is...you’d be polishing a turd using this yard kart.
Go and buy a used race kart that already has all this stuff....

EDIT: I don’t even know what your end goals are.... guess I’m just a spectator :popcorn:

Last edited:

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Dustin,
As you can see I've already installed a predator 212 which I will have to put a governor on for my 9 year daughter's use.

Like people have said, do not try limit the accelerator pedal travel for your daughter. It will just cause the clutch to slip because you cannot get the engine up to the required revs for the clutch to lock up properly. You will need to gear the kart lower. This will mean slower speeds, but more torque. That would mean either a larger rear axle sprocket, or a smaller clutch sprocket. The rear one is sometimes easier and more practical to change.

Post the diameter of your tyres, as well as the tooth count on your sprockets and we can maybe suggest a better ratio for you.

Droptopfiveo

Reaction score
Ok, everyone thanks for your help. Please excuse my original messages as I wasn't clear in what I'm doing. First I understand the difference in restorations and modifications. I'm a car guy with many different projects under my belt. Now we're talking go karts so I figured I would come to the site where folks do this all day long who can assist me with questions I have.

Options 1: Strip the cart down repaint it, run the new predator motor or possibly something slower for my daughter. Finally figure out some type of better braking system other than the questionable drum brake band that keeps slipping off (suggestions). I understand the only real solutions is to install a live axle on this cart which leads me to OPTION #2.

Option 2: Buy a 2 seater roller with a live axle and transfer the predator motor to that which will provide my daughter with a better braking system.

See the pictures showing the brake band slipped off.

I also wanted to know if the two piece wheels are normal / original wheels and tire size. 4.10/3.50 - 5.

Attachments

• Brake.jpg
    Brake.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Wheel.jpg
    Wheel.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Tire size.jpg
    Tire size.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 5

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Reaction score
Maybe see if a mechanical caliper will fit on the sprocket between the chain, drill some holes in the sprocket (rotors have holes right?), fab up a mount (Do you weld?), and use the sprocket as rotor.

Not sure there’s enough room??
And if the chain is oily, it might affect the braking.

Maybe put a band brake on the clutch?
This doesn’t look like it will slip off.
But if the chain goes, so do the brakes.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Clutch-Band-...Baja-CT200U-ATV-UTV-/171773724346?_mwBanner=1

Attachments

• 2D98D5CB-40BA-41EE-9C41-82A710BE91B6.jpeg
    2D98D5CB-40BA-41EE-9C41-82A710BE91B6.jpeg
    28.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 3E86D720-CA8D-4127-90C6-DCF6AE0BF897.jpeg
    3E86D720-CA8D-4127-90C6-DCF6AE0BF897.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 5
  • C7F47A05-A7B3-4A4E-85FE-CD8E8F2DBCF1.jpeg
    C7F47A05-A7B3-4A4E-85FE-CD8E8F2DBCF1.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 0E434859-18E6-49DA-9F46-69D5B974FFB3.jpeg
    0E434859-18E6-49DA-9F46-69D5B974FFB3.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 87

Randy H

Reaction score
I've had karts where the band brake worked pretty good. Maybe it's an alignment issue that can be corrected.

Just looked, I think your spindle is bent.

Last edited:

anickode

Reaction score
Band brakes are extremely effective when set up properly. When used on the clutch drum, the brake gets the same mechanical advantage that the engine has, so if you have a 6:1 sprocket ratio, your brake will provide 6 times the braking torque it would if mounted on the axle.

The trouble comes, as stated before, when the brake band is on the clutch drum, and your chain breaks or falls off. The brake still stops the clutch, but not the wheels.

Droptopfiveo

Reaction score
I've had karts where the band brake worked pretty good. Maybe it's an alignment issue that can be corrected.

Just looked, I think your spindle is bent.

Hey Randy,

No the spindle is not bent it's the sprocket but I already have a new one.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

yeah the whole chain failure causing the breaks to fail is just another reason why I want better brakes on the cart. Stay tuned, I have a couple of prospects I'm waiting on or I may fabricate something legit.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Options 1: Strip the cart down repaint it, run the new predator motor or possibly something slower for my daughter. Finally figure out some type of better braking system other than the questionable drum brake band that keeps slipping off (suggestions). I understand the only real solutions is to install a live axle on this cart which leads me to OPTION #2.

Option 2: Buy a 2 seater roller with a live axle and transfer the predator motor to that which will provide my daughter with a better braking system.

I also wanted to know if the two piece wheels are normal / original wheels and tire size. 4.10/3.50 - 5.

Don't listen to these other guys, they're turning molehills into mountains and needlessly complicating this endeavor of yours. A band brake on a clutch bell/drum? While it's a novel, space saving design, anickode already deconstructed that nonsense for you. :D

The band brakes are good if you can get them to line up well. The good ones have "ears" that are bent inwards and serve to keep the band aligned on the drum. You also have to make sure your brake rod is not bent or pulling sideways. Make sure it is pulling straight fore and aft.

There's other ways you can ensure proper operation; fabricate some kind of guide lip, plate or tack-weld on a small rod to keep the brake band aligned.

The two piece wheels and tire size seems to be normal. Did you even look at the manual I provided? They're stock/OEM/Factory.

It's a good tire size as they are cheap and easy to change on account of the split rims, even though the requirement of inner tubes sort of adds complexity. ALSO--don't get all hung up on the CHENG SHIN name on the sidewalls. CS has been around a long time; since the 1960s and they make a quality tire. They're Taiwanese, not Chinese.

This kart is perfect for your daughter. I thought you were going to totally remodel it for yourself on account of the "hydronic" brakes, live axle and what-not.
However....a live axle kart won't turn well at the low speeds you want to keep it at. It just won't and your daughter will struggle with it. It has to be really moving to execute a turn...

Good luck and...break a leg. :)

Ebrownie

Reaction score
A lot of people do this, but i am always worried that if your chain breaks or comes off, then you have lost your brakes as well. A catastrophic brake failure

Obviously it is a bit more likely on a go kart (chain fall off/failure), but this is how all snowmobiles are. They have disc brakes on the jackshaft, so if your drive belt or chaincase disconnects or breaks, you don't have brakes. I think as long as you get your chain lined up good and it is good quality chain, I wouldn't have a problem doing it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.