Wet clutch and torque converter

SmithO

Reaction score
Hi I'm building a go kart and planning on using a Lifan 190 15hp 420cc engine which has 2:1 oil bath clutch but I want to add a 7/8" torque converter, will these work well together? Is it normal for go karts to have gears and a torque converter or would they usually not have any gears if you are adding a torque converter? (New to this and it's my first build) Thanks!!

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
The two will not work together well at all. That is like adding 2 different clutches to a car. It is one or the other.

I am not too sure what you mean about gears, but karts will have a axle sprocket and then the TC or wet clutch bolts up to the engine

SmithO

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply! I am not too sure either, it says it has a wet clutch reduction gear box 2:1.
I'm pretty sure this is what it is, if so can I just remove this and replace it with a torque converter?

mckutzy

Reaction score
lets see some pics of the actual engine in question...
You might need a bunch of parts to convert to using a tc....

SmithO

Reaction score

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
A 2:1 wet wet clutch reduction box has a wet clutch inside. You do not put another clutch or TC on top of it. I have owned one of those reduction boxes before. Work out your gear ratio by dividing the box sprocket into the rear axle sprocket tooth count. You then multiply that by 2 to give you your proper gear ratio