Well crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I've lost three master links so far, the last time I hadn't even gotten out of my driveway. Aside from chain alignment and tension, is there something else I should look at? Or is my new engine just too much for a 40 chain? I do have a chain rivet tool, if I can find a rivet on ML I'll try that too. (I'll weld it on if I have to)

fourtogo

Reaction score
when installing clips alway push clip on . Do not put one side on then snap the other side down. You can use a pair of duckbilled pliers to push clip in place. A bit of RTV on top of the whole deal to top it off.

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
I know about putting them on the right way. I just dont know why I lose them so quickly. I'll double check it all tonight while I mod my gas tank. (I hope that goes well)

Scout

Nutjob
Reaction score
Its a 40 chain, and a 40 master link. Yesterday after work I put the chain back on, this time I flipped the ML over so the clip was away from the clutch. I also checked the alignment and slid the clutch out a bit. I noticed that the driven sprocket has a spot where it may be bent a little, so I'll have to replace it. Also important, as I was tensioning the chain I noticed that the engine looked to be a little cocked, so I fixed that. On the test ride it all seemed to be ok. I left my phone at home so I have no idea if I gained any speed by swapping out my jet and e-tube.

fowler

Reaction score
It shouldn't technically matter which way the master link goes

The reason u put it that way to make sure if u hit something while drivring it won't flick off

Alternately if the chain is rubbing anywhere it'll pop the link off

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
It shouldn't technically matter which way the master link goes

The reason u put it that way to make sure if u hit something while drivring it won't flick off

Alternately if the chain is rubbing anywhere it'll pop the link off

You are 100% correct. It is only because of it being uncliped that you install it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.