Well... BLEEP

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
Has anyone ever heard of a Comet 30 TC driver pully literally exploding? I was running my Magnum around and all of a sudden I get a shimmy, then something blunt hit the back of my helmet to where it cracked it. All I found was a friction shoe, half of a spring, a piece of the outter shield and the shaft adapter. I'll get a pic up ASAP.

(The piece of shield shot over 140ft about 30* off the left side...)
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
what probably happened was the bolt that holds the driver pully to the drive shaft came loose. had that happen to me one time.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
I have had my TC come apart several times... I am now looking to get the pilot washers to avoid this.
 

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
What really got me is the fact I had Loc-Tite on the threads and I torqued it to 100ft lbs, also had a Grade 10 lock washer on it and even then it fell off twice. I'm wondering if the threads in the shaft were cut wrong.
 

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Messages
2,758
Reaction score
30
Location
Mesa, AZ.
What really got me is the fact I had Loc-Tite on the threads and I torqued it to 100ft lbs, also had a Grade 10 lock washer on it and even then it fell off twice. I'm wondering if the threads in the shaft were cut wrong.

I did the same... I really attribute this to not having the pilot washer.
 

KartFab

Active member
Messages
3,381
Reaction score
59
Location
Dallas, TX
100 ft lbs is a bit excessive. The bolt/nut should not be torqued, only point is to keep the driven from sliding back and forth.

Keep in mind that even the TAV2 uses a snap ring to hold the driven on one end.
 

mindymogul

Mistress of Destruction
Messages
420
Reaction score
22
Location
Land of Camo and Fireball
His insufficient amount of brain cells probably killed him...

So should I make this an excuse to put a '78 CM400A Hawk engine on this pile and beef up the shocks or just spend the $53 and fix it?
 

minibikegi

Banned
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
not but is also is similar, a loose lawn mower blade is said to just drop down, ive seen that. But if it was mine. the blade would skip 8 hundred yards and bird-house my windshield on truck!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top