Welding sprocket hub into rim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Ok, so I am working on a plan to make a shifter kart with a Honda CR80 engine. I got some nice 16x6.50-8 Tires and rims(for the rear wheels), but the hubs are really wierd. They are 3 hole with a 3 1/2" bolt circle, but the bore is not keyed and is smaller than my planned 1" shaft (live axle). So, I need new hubs, but I can't find any that fit it. So, I measured the diameter of the hole in the center of the rim, and it is 2 1/2". I found a keyed 1" bore hub for weld-on sprockets that has an outside diameter of 2 1/2", which should fit into the rim perfectly. My question is, if I welded that to the rim, could I get it centered perfectly and would it be strong enough to hold?

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Here's the link for that hub.
http://www.rollerchain4less.com/HUB..._p_1568.html?gclid=CLrWnNfql9ACFdKGfgod6VQDUA

welder74

welder74
Reaction score
I'd use 7018 and yes it will hold the centering part is on your abilities

---------- Post added at 06:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:09 PM ----------

I saw the link it even recommends 7018

Ebrownie

Reaction score
Ok thanks. I was also thinking maybe I could cut out a hole in a plate and then weld that hub onto the plate and then just bolt it onto the original bolt holes.maybe I could bolt it on and weld it to the rim for more strength. Either way, those hubs should work well I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.