Welders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazingm42

Reaction score
OK more I think about this the deeper I am getting into this project....

So I looked at some mig welders you can get a lowes or homedepot for about 200 - 350 made by Lincoln. Which uses
a flex core wire for welding. It claims to weld steel up to 1/4" thick whil others say 3/16.

Will a Mig welders such as this meet my needs?

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Short answer :yes and then some.

The cheap flux core welders from harbor freight will meet those same needs as well.

If you want to weld 1/4" and up you can, and at most you would just have to bevel the ends where you want to weld and lay a few beads over it.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I bought the Lincoln Home depot welder probably what you are seeing. I really like it. Works great for building Karts 4 of them so far. But I paid like 400 bucks. I wish I had known this forum then and that guys here have good luck with the Harbor Freight Flux core welder. I could have saved 200 bucks. I had assumed they were junk but many members here like them just fine. The only thing is they always say but good Lincoln Flux core wire, The HF wire is junk.

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
The HF wire isn't junk per say...its just dirty, comes dirty. I've seen people that use this stuff with the wire and have great results: http://www.weldaid.com/products/lube-matic-overview/

It basically cleans the wire before it gets to the welding lead. Bet you could do the same thing with a washcloth and something like acetone or alcohol. soak the washcloth in the cleaner, then loosely tape it around the wire before it feeds it.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Why bother with that. 2 pound spools at HF is $19.99. Lincoln wire at Home Depot is 11 on a 1lb spool. Just get the hassle free stuff in the first place. Unless you live in White Settlement Texas and HF is the only store for Miles. hehe

Also the Lincoln welder I have is a "weld pak 125 hd" Love it.

FabricaTim

Reaction score
Yes both Chancer and Crazykart's choice of wire and welder will get the job done just as good as the other. Most likely you are using some 14ga(1/16") but mostly 11ga(1/8") and up. But if you are using mostly 1/4" material on the frame then I hope you put a bigger engine in that Tank-Kart! LOL! Seriously though, if you are using 1/4" or thicker for ur main structural support then you can still get either one of the welders you mentioned but make sure it has the gas hook up and run solid wire(copper) with argon gas. And DO NOT use .022 wire! .030 wire will work for normal applications but for 1/4" and up I'd use .035 wire if you're gonna do flux-cored

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
I get lucky chancer, I have a home depot and lowes right across from each other. The good thing about that is lowes is more expensive for Lincoln at $13, BUT they do price match plus 10%...so I look up the wire at HD on my phone, and show it at lowes for even cheaper.

gazingm42

Reaction score
Crazycat,

Online HD and Lowes do not appear to carry the same models. Which often I know is by design for us to match. So do the actual stores care same models of Lincoln?

Also read a article that if the output is less that 135AMps on the welder I would have issues welding even 1/8 inch walls to a good bond. Any truth to this or if I get say Lincoln K2479-1 from lowes. Which output is 125amp.

If I go up to the K2480-1 its output is 140amps its going run me another 150 bucks.

Any thoughts?

crazykart

Crazy member
Reaction score
Yes what they sell in the stores is whats online. Model number doesnt matter, a 1 lb spool of lincoln .35 flux is just that, same with the .30.

140 amps welding 1/8 would probably blow through if your not really careful.

I get great penitration on 80 amps with 5 wire speed on 1/8 plate, and will still blow through if I'm not careful.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
White Settlement has a 'Harbor Depot'....they sell Chinese crap at Home Depot prices....

It's across from the Cultural Center.....sometimes referred to as 'Wal-Mart'...:lolgoku:

EDIT: And for convenience sake....we converted some handicapped parking spaces...down at the Wal-Mart to child beating stations without security cameras....(to avoid another incident of national attention) ...

gazingm42

Reaction score
So with 125 amp out out you think I will be fine even if I have some square tube near 1/4 " wall thickness?

So the one I seen as a dial to turn down to 30 amp up to 125anp out put.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I think so. If you are not sure check the actual welders info, rather than our opinions.
One thing I do not quite understand is that welders are rated in amps. 90 or 125 etc. Yet they plug into a 20 amp 110v standard wall outlet. That being said:
I upgraded the breaker and wiring in my garage and my Dads to a 30amp breaker and #10gauge wire. My Dads garage would trip the 20amp breaker even though the the Lincoln welder says 20amp outlet.

gazingm42

Reaction score
I think so. If you are not sure check the actual welders info, rather than our opinions.
One thing I do not quite understand is that welders are rated in amps. 90 or 125 etc. Yet they plug into a 20 amp 110v standard wall outlet. That being said:
I upgraded the breaker and wiring in my garage and my Dads to a 30amp breaker and #10gauge wire. My Dads garage would trip the 20amp breaker even though the the Lincoln welder says 20amp outlet.

Both the 140amp and 125amp state 1/4" welding option. Thus one of my confusions.

HitmanV

Reaction score
One thing I do not quite understand is that welders are rated in amps. 90 or 125 etc. Yet they plug into a 20 amp 110v standard wall outlet.

Ohms Law says voltage (V) and current (amps) are inversly proportional.
So if you have 125amp welder its probably welding at only 17.6 volts from a 20 amp wall socket.

110v * 20a = 2200w (watts = max power)
17.6v * 125a = 2200w

im currently building a welder from a microwaveoven transformer i salvaged. there are plenty youtube videos to help others do the same.

be warned, this is dangerous if you dont understand electricity

machinist@large

Reaction score
Ohms Law says voltage (V) and current (amps) are inversly proportional.
So if you have 125amp welder its probably welding at only 17.6 volts from a 20 amp wall socket.

110v * 20a = 2200w (watts = max power)
17.6v * 125a = 2200w

im currently building a welder from a microwaveoven transformer i salvaged. there are plenty youtube videos to help others do the same.

be warned, this is dangerous if you dont understand electricity

:toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

While I think you probably ment well with your post, he's in the market for a plug & play MIG welder, not a home brew STICK welder. Let's not hijack his thread with a totally different topic.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Stay tuned folks....coming soon....how to make your own toaster out of 2 space heaters, a thermocouple, and a Victor rat trap.....

(Just to round out your YouTube useless contraption drivel) .....

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
:toetap05: :toetap05: :toetap05:

While I think you probably ment well with your post, he's in the market for a plug & play MIG welder, not a home brew STICK welder. Let's not hijack his thread with a totally different topic.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not a hijack. This thread has been all about how big of a welder to but. and the question was made raised Why or how a 125amp welder plugged into a 20 amp outlet. Other than the microwave oven welder. This was a useful post.

Status
Not open for further replies.