Welder mod concern! HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
Ok, I'm not new to rectifier conversions in HF welders. But this machine threw me a curve ball. Instead of the stranded wire coming from the transformer, they are solid wires! Well I got the rectifier installed. I did test welds before I started to make sure I didn't have a defective machine on my hands. Now with the rectifier installed, the wire feed motor seems to intermittently cut out, then come back on as the trigger is held. The motor gets its power from the transformer, the wires are connected to the welding lead outputs. I relocated them to the AC terminals on the rectifier since they've been running on AC. I have had issues in the past with the gun trigger not maintaining a consistent contact but do you think this could be due to the rectifier somehow?

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 11

supermanotorious

Winchmaster 5000
Reaction score
HMMMM, maybe I reversed the motor connections??? But that wouldn't cause brief outages would it? Maybe it's a defective rectifier, but that shouldn't matter either, the motor is getting AC before the rectifier, I'm baffled here.

tinamcjittles

ello m8
Reaction score
Can you do a continuity check on the trigger switch? Just to rule that out..
I had no idea about this mod, makes me want to see if that is why my welder produces so much spatter... Anyways, are those white wires directly connected to the motor or do they go through any control circuitry?

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Do you plan on doing the capacitor mod as well? i hear that helps a lot on these things. I want to mod mine but its working so i don't really want to break it right now.

I have a helium tank im going to swap for an argon tank. Just need to pay for fill up and regulator ($85 their price) i think ebay for 25. i feel that will make the spatter less on these. flux welding is always messy.

Then i need gas control delay so it stays on after i let go for a second. :)

why cant we leave things as they come? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.