• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

we the petters......

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMCdesign

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
since mine and poboys pet discussion pulled us off topic and the thread was going the undesired route, I decided to start another thread.

I will begin with a question that all the posting members will have to answer-

what is your pet? :useless: :popcorn:

Half-breeder

"Edit" button removed
Reaction score
Well... at one time(when my wife n I first got married) we had 2 Burmese pythons. I had an 8ft female and wife had a 5ft male. I had built a glass 'pit' for them(4'x4.5'... 85degrees w/ approx. 60-80percent humidity, dependent on the times of their molting).

Not much of a 'pet' for stories... but it did attempt to bite my face acouple of times(during feeding times). The most memorable was, we had just removed mine for feeding... we fed em in the tub and had to prep the feeding area each time... run tub w/ 6" deep hot water after laying the in/out door carpet down. Drain it to 1" then place 'food'(mouse/rat/small rabbit/small chicken) in tub. Let it 'sweat it out' for alil bit as I would wash the smell of it off me(2-3 mins). After the food has settled, Id place the snake in head first opening the doors of the shower just enough for it to crawl in... this one time it crawled in, halfway, then crawled back out looked at me.. then lunged for my face! I had evidently rubbed my goatee after handling the 'food'... :oops:.

Due to the reason that we lived in an apartment that didnt allow pets... shortly after 'that' episode we sold em and started the 'fish' hobby...

That started off w/ a 55gal tank w/ the 'common' cheap fish(learning purposes). After I learned the Ph/chlorine/temp filtering down pat, I was given a 120gal(15"x15"x5'), which we filled w/ medium level fish. After that I bought a 225gal(18"x19"x6')... that tank was abit large for my hobby level... but I learned that, the hard way when one day I awoke to the sound of water gushing outta the bottom of it. One doesnt realize how much 225 gals of water is, untill it leaves enough water, that you have to open both the front and back doors to let the water out...sigh. We ended up moving outta there and moving into a house. I didnt want the 110gal anymore... so I traded it for a sectional couch.

Nowadays we have 3 cats, a caramel lab, and a few lil fish(55gal). Acouple yrs back I had caught a water moccasin(bout 2ft) and kept it in a 10gal tank out in the shed. After a month I mentally saw possible future issues... so I cut it up n tossed it to the coons/opossum/cats(nighttime critters).

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Well since you brought it up Half Breeder, I have a 5' Texas rat snake named Oscar. I caught her when she was a little baby. I never sexed her- hence the anomaly of a female snake named Oscar. After I had him about 8 years he laid eggs. ....The Texas rat snake has a well deserved reputation as a belligerent snake with a willingness to readily bite.

Oscar is not like that. She loves people- maybe because when she was little she got passed around at parties and been handled by so many young kids. She has bitten me once- but never anyone else. I was pestering her in some manner ( possibly tying her in knots? - a game I enjoyed but she didn't care for. ....BTW- the all time record was 3, and that wasn't easy because after one she knew what the game was and would try hard to get out of that one and keep you from tying her in the next).... ( plus after each knot you have less snake to work with)....whatever it was, I knew I was ticking her off a little. So she reaches over and clamps down on my hand.

Those teeth are razor sharp and she was able to do that without even breaking the skin. She was just giving me a warning. .....

Attachments

• 13763458524720.jpg
    13763458524720.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 6

fowler

Reaction score
Personally
Non

Had a pony when I was young called coffee
Had to put it down myself when he got too old to do basic stuff for himself
Rather traumatic

Currently the family has
3 cats, dickens ( ginger) dusty (ginger) and misty (grey tortiseshell) all the cats are from mothers that got done over my wild cats and we got free kittens

4 horses, billy (bay though bred) smiley (black though bred) snack (can't remember breed chestnut) and godly ( can't recall breed palomino) billy and smiley are retrained racehorses
Godly and snack are professional show horses

3 ponys, lady ( Arab cross black) tom (mountain welsh brown) and blue (mountain welsh grey)
Lady is a trained show pony and competes in cross country jumping
Tom was our first pony and is now 22 yo
Blue is free one that we agreed to take on as PO had no use for Him and we have room

12 chooks with 3 roosters ( breed unknown home bred from free chickens)
They're mosty there for eggs

Then 4 dogs smokey (kelpie x unknown) pepper (breed unknown) , Cidy ( short haired boarder collie ) and dick (yes that was the name the breeder gave him) ( breed unknown)
They're all trained sheep dogs
Bit like the cats
Most of them come from sheeps dogs getting hold of farmers females and free puppies result
We train them ourselves but mostly the older dogs train the younger ones
They're not pets but get greeted like it
They still get let inside once on a while
And get all our scrap meat and bones

And lastly we have a racehorse Goanna that comes and sleeps in the stables
So we started breaking eggs for him
Now he's quite friendly and u can get within a few inches now

Last edited:

OzFab

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call them pets but, we've had a family of blue toungued lizards Living under & around our pool for decades. One is a few years old & has obviously been attacked by another animal because it only has two feet (left front & right rear) but still manages to climb the five steps onto our front porch.

There are two others around ATM, an adult which we think has vision problems (he'll climb over food to get to other food, then grab at it without actually getting it) & a young one that spends a lot of time in the garage (they like the heat).

There was another youngen around about a year ago but, sadly, it drowned trying to get a drink from the pool...

We feed them bread & food scraps quite often & there's always a saucer of water on the front porch...

I have more pics somewhere but can't find them right now...

Attachments

• Image014.jpg
    Image014.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Reaction score
We have a dog... Chihuahua/Yorkie mix. He was one of 5 or so in the litter and was the runt. In the womb, he must have been pushed aside because one of his front legs only has 2 toes and it's bent all weird. They were going to put him down but we took him.

As he learned to walk, he'd go up on the good front leg, then down on the joint of the small one making him look like a little choo choo train as he moved, thus, his name is choo choo.

Now he uses only 3 legs while holding his little gimpy one up and he's a fast little sucker.

One of the best dogs I've ever had. Let the hair grow, he's a yorkie. Shave him & he's a Chihuahua.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I've got a 110-ish Lb Chocolate Lab/German Shapherd mix named Tikka (pronounced tee-ka). I didn't name her, I got her "used" (lol) out of the classifieds when she was 17 months old. She's now 7 1/2 years old, and a real sweetheart. I consider her my rescue dog. When I got her, she was in a total nuthouse. Chaos everywhere, the children would pull her ears and tail, and taunt her. She was left outside most of the day.

She was pretty unruly when I got her, and had a distrust for kids. I was really iffy bringing her into a home with children, so I had to watch closely. With all the right love, attention, and discipline, she came around nicely.

Desertduler

Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call them pets but, we've had a family of blue toungued lizards Living under & around our pool for decades. One is a few years old & has obviously been attacked by another animal because it only has two feet (left front & right rear) but still manages to climb the five steps onto our front porch.

There are two others around ATM, an adult which we think has vision problems (he'll climb over food to get to other food, then grab at it without actually getting it) & a young one that spends a lot of time in the garage (they like the heat).

There was another youngen around about a year ago but, sadly, it drowned trying to get a drink from the pool...

We feed them bread & food scraps quite often & there's always a saucer of water on the front porch...

I have more pics somewhere but can't find them right now...

Cool looking lizards! Is there any brown snakes where you live?

OzFab

Reaction score
Where I live, no; they don't tend to venture into suburbia. My nephew who lives further west & backs onto (what used to be) a nature reserve has had one or two in his back yard.

Many years ago (before I was born) we did have a red belly black snake at our front door...

The lizards don't usually tend to live in suburbia either but, as I said, they've been here for decades...

machinist@large

Reaction score
I have these two Labrador Retrievers. They are about 5 months old now. I got them after I had to put my Black Lab down after 14 1/2 years last September. RIP Anna.

Yellow Lab is Carmen, the Chocolate is Dulci. I call them team Assclown.

I sure hope they're smarter than my Aunt & Uncles; Maggie is a friendly one (chocolate) but she literally flunked out of obedience school.... As my Aunt said "what do you say when they give you your money back, and you didn't even ask for it?".....

Status
Not open for further replies.