Want to change Live Axle to Differential

abarli65

Reaction score
I have a 1" rear axle with aluminum racing wheel hubs mounted to Douglas wheels with 2.5" bolt circle. Do they make a rear hub with bearings that would fit a 1" axle? Essentially, looking for an easy way to change from live to diff.

redflash

Reaction score
There is a british guy on you tube who demonstrates how to make a go kart diff from a 90-93 miata diff. from the model with a 1.6 motor and 6 inch ring gear. I'm making one right now ! very simple, no cutting, welding or machine work needed. I bought the diff on ebay for $50.00 , and it looks like I'll have about $200-250 in it by the time I build a swinging sub-frame for rear suspension on a 60's Rupp Kart. Just look up
"miata differential for go Kart"....and you should find it .

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Trying to understand why you need bearings out at the wheel end of a drive axle from either a differential or a solid live axle. If the axle is supposed to spin the wheel, a wheel with a bearing in it would just sit there while the bearing spins instead.
Seems like all you need is a keyed 1" wheel hub slid onto your (keyed) 1" axle.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Hey Smerft, (#1): How much does a kart sized differential go for? Been thinking about doing one on another very unique build.
(#2): How much for it to have limited slip (positraction)?

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
Peerless Differential will do it.

here’s mine that I rebuilt and added twin disc brakes too...............

Attachments

• 40A9DACC-722F-4D82-AEDE-73B27182D0DD.jpeg
    40A9DACC-722F-4D82-AEDE-73B27182D0DD.jpeg
    138.2 KB · Views: 22