Wanna be

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanelDeland

Reaction score
Hey gang, thanks for the add. A little about me and then maybe some of you can give some guidance. I'm a semi-retired maintenance mechanic and a pretty big fella at 280 and 6 ft. Well tooled up. I'm wanting a ride to bash around the neighborhood on/in. I was thinking a cart frame (no roll cage) and maybe 20-25 mph and a budget of around 5 Benjamins (more over time for accessories. I also probably need to be able to run "part throttle" on the level and pull some slight hills in my area.. I also have bad knees and a mediocre back at 60+ so easy in/out would be a plus. I'm thinking bigger wheels/tires and an off road stance. Not looking to race, just have fun. Am I crazy? Probably but I refuse to go to a head Dr. and be diagnosed. Suggestions on frames, clutches and street tires would be greatly appreciated.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
You crazy? **** no! The people who are crazy are the ones saying you can't have fun for buying a go kart!

Ok, you want a easy to get into, big tire cruiser that can get up light hills.

Well just make sure you want a kart because an ATV will fit this category for getting into a bit better as one foot over and the straddle seat would probably be easier for you to get into.

Ok, fine, say you don't want an ATV. You are probably going to want to look into a late-90s to early '00s off-road suspension kart. They are usually quite a few inches off the ground compared to butt on the ground yardkarts. Yerf-dog and Mancos are good ones, but there are many brands. You can get a rolling frame for ~100$ if you look around. Look for ones with 5-6HP motors. They will be the cheapest to work on. (100$ for a 6.5HP motor vs 300$ for a 13HP motor)

Now you said you were around 280. That means we're talking around 400 loaded weight. Combined with small hill climbing, a Torque Converter(type of go kart automatic clutch and transmission in one) is in order. You can get a clone one on eBay for 50-60$ given the rolling frame you buy doesn't come with one(if you get a rolling frame with a dead motor, it will have the T/C).

Now if you buy a rolling frame, you will need a motor. There is no question here, the Predator 212. 5 bolts, a throttle cable, and in about an hour the engine should be in and installed ready to go. 100$ with a coupon for this puppy.

Depending on the roller frame you get, it will likely need a seat and maybe a throttle cable or something. Probably will be some guys kart he bought 20 years ago and sat under a tree for 15 of those 20 years. Add 70$ for all this crap.

Tires? Whatever it came with is fine. Likely it will be setup with 15" in the front and 18" in the back or 16" in the front and 22" in the back.

Ok...so we've put in around 330$. Now you have almost 2 other Benjamin's to do whatever you want to do with. This is practically worst case scenario. I put in around 210$ for my Manco kart and it is great.

These karts should go around 32mph max speed, so a good cruise around 25mph is no problem for these.

Get on Craigslist, you got some shopping to do. :thumbsup:

PanelDeland

Reaction score
Sounds like sound advice. I really don't want an ATV (too much like a MC and wifey's brother was killed on a MC so she's adamantly against them). That and I used to ride some but never got that bug so much. But as a kid I always wanted a kart but never had the means. Part of joining this forum was to look at what others were paying for their kart frames to make a better decision and to avoid the mistakes first timers make.

Panhead5496

Reaction score
I agree with what TpDingo said!

I got a Yerf Dog 3202 frame off Craigslist with no motor for $300 (it was basically new, guys grandkids ran the engine with no oil and killed it, then cart just sat in his garage for a few months).

Added a predator for $100, a eBay TC for say $60, and assorted small items here and there (new seatbelts, etc) and have a very dependable go cart for right around $500, give or take. I left the rollcage on, but it can easily be removed with just a few bolts.

So all that to say I highly recommend a YerfDog of some sort. They are high enough off the ground to get over most stuff you'll need to with everyday riding, and therefore easy to get in.

As for the weight, I am about 145 and my dad is about 190, and we rode together once and with the 212 and TC it did just fine on pavement, and that was before I did the engine upgrades. With just me in the cart I topped out at 37, which I won't ever do again unless something goes wrong lol! It was kind of scary :D

Cruising around at 20-25 is plenty fast and makes for a very enjoyable ride. :)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with the others, but just make sure if you get a rolling chassis that the wheels are good. If you are going to have to start buying new tyres, hubs etc, your budget is going to be blown out the water real quick

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Find an electric golf cart with no/bad batteries for $200-300. Sell the motor and electrics for $200-300. Get an electric start 7hp Duromax from Home Depot (<$200), get an ebay t/c (~$60), get an ebay F-N-R gearbox (~$160). Will require a little fab work and some problems solving skills, but will give you what you are looking for and will be a blast.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Find an electric golf cart with no/bad batteries for $200-300. Sell the motor and electrics for $200-300. Get an electric start 7hp Duromax from Home Depot (<$200), get an ebay t/c (~$60), get an ebay F-N-R gearbox (~$160). Will require a little fab work and some problems solving skills, but will give you what you are looking for and will be a blast.

Why not find a gas kart and do the same. Then you don't need to worry about FNR or Transmission?

Also, golf karts aren't that much fun, cuz there golf karts, not GO KARTS.

Go =/= Golf.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
Well let me explain:
A) The OP needs something easy to get in and out of, nothing easier than a golf cart.
B) Gas golf carts can not typically be found in the $200-300 range, anywhere, ever, period. More like $1000 minimum.
C) Sometimes "fun" is relative. Taking something that doesn't work and making it work differently and maybe better can be fun.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
Well let me explain:
A) The OP needs something easy to get in and out of, nothing easier than a golf cart.
B) Gas golf carts can not typically be found in the $200-300 range, anywhere, ever, period. More like $1000 minimum.
C) Sometimes "fun" is relative. Taking something that doesn't work and making it work differently and maybe better can be fun.

A) true point
B) true, but by the time he is done modding the electric golf kart , it would probably be neck in neck
C) also a true point, but he also said he always wanted a go kart. A golf kart is not a substitute for a go kart in my eyes, but that is up to the OP to decide.

ezcome-ezgo

G'me sumthin to write on
Reaction score
To the B) point, I have provided a list of the costs of the major components, it is well under $500. And the cart itself is basically free after you sell the motor, etc. Believe me, I have done it myself.

Tpdingo

Reaction score
To the B) point, I have provided a list of the costs of the major components, it is well under $500. And the cart itself is basically free after you sell the motor, etc. Believe me, I have done it myself.
It will be a much harder project than just getting a higher up kart. Also, trying to get the golf kart won't be that hard, selling the electronics might be. And if it doesn't sell then you are still talking well above 500$.

And for the kart everything will be a bolt on, though he is a mechanic, he probably could go the Golf Kart route. Lets see what he says to the golf kart idea and we can go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.