Urban Kart Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Hi, starting an urban racing thing here where I live and thought I'd show off my ride.

Bascially the same as that urban guerrilla racing thing that disappeared (e.g. race anywhere... abandoned places, dirt roads, wherever looks dangerous and has the potential for jail time... :arf:)

So I had a fun kart frame laying around and turned it into this last night in the hopes that some would join me in my area.

Meet my ride: Urban Defiance.

Thanks for looking...

Kelly Wood
 

Attachments

  • DSC00075A.jpg
    DSC00075A.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 109

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Cool little beast! Performance tip #278- Install a chain...
What neigbourhood are you in? We may have a forum member or two that are close enough to accept your challenge!
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
LOL, well the motor mount isn't on so the chain aint there yet.

Performance tip! ROFL! good one.

West Valley City... but honestly, SLC isnt' all that big anyway.

Bring it.

Kelly
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Well, like I said I'm attempting to get this going any way possible.

The rules are simple really.
1. Any 5 to 6.5 hp engine, governer removal optional, muffler or straight pipe.. you choose.
2. Any REAR engine kart, 1 wheel drive or live axle, no suspension allowed.
3. All 4 wheels must be 5 in chen shin style knobby wheels (cause we'll be on ALL kinds of turf)
4. Helmet required... other protection optional: including squirt guns, paint ball guns, nerf cannons, sticks, rocks, whale harpoon guns, whatever.

Tracks: TBD (could be abandoned industrial areas, dirt fields, old airports, near train tracks.. you get my drift)

LOL

SLC is Salt Lake City.
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
What about clutches? cause a guy could roll up with a TC and Dominate the races.

yea yea... but it's supposed to be fun. When the terrain changes as much as my potential tracks do, messing with the clutch might help a bit, but then again, it might not.

We'll see how it goes.
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Looks good. But that setup is technically mid-engine, not rear :)

(I know what you meant though)

True... but as long as it's behind the seat, that's all that matters.

My daughter & I race go karts here in Utah at the Larry Miller Motorsports Park track and recently, I stopped because it's becoming harder & harder to keep up with her... and the class rules. Do this, do that, this fuel, that motor, these tires.... Hell.. I just want to have fun. So, I'm gonna do it my way.

But speaking of rear engines... Meet my 2nd candidate for this... Brown Thunder. This shiny metalic brown beast will sport a 5HP ungoverned Tecumseh.

It's all fun.
 

Attachments

  • bt001.jpg
    bt001.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 35

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Urban Kart Racing?

After finishing up a few projects last night, I turned my attention to my urban racer.

I really wanted to get it moving so I got going on it. Took the motor off and replaced it with a beefed up H50 I had laying around because it worked & fit better for what I have planned for it.

Just gotta put together a braking system and put the chain on... and she's ready for a test drive.

Anyone gonna join me?

No 13 - Urban Defiance - Waiting in Utah...
 

Attachments

  • UD001.jpg
    UD001.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 21

Jcotz

...wasn't there
Messages
374
Reaction score
1
Location
NY
If only... I have the perfect kart for that sort of racing but I live on the east coast.
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Then perhaps with people willing, we can attempt to start the movement & get the word out. I really want to do this and it's really so simple to just throw things together & have fun. Not like it has to be a local thing and I know there's others that do it.

I should throw together a website & see where it goes eh?

Show me your kart you'd use for this? I love looking at other rides.

Kelly
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
I'm sure hoping this thread doesn't die.

An update, one weekend, and whatever I could find to piece these together.

Come on, there's gotta be some folks out there that might want to try this.

Enjoy.
 

Attachments

  • udmock.jpg
    udmock.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 39
  • btmock.jpg
    btmock.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 31

anderkart

Moderator
Messages
6,430
Reaction score
386
Location
Surprise Arizona USA
Then perhaps with people willing, we can attempt to start the movement & get the word out. I really want to do this and it's really so simple to just throw things together & have fun. Not like it has to be a local thing and I know there's others that do it.

I should throw together a website & see where it goes eh?

Show me your kart you'd use for this? I love looking at other rides.

Kelly

I've just recently found out about Kelly's 'Kartrod' program, and think its just cool as hell!

I'm retired from driving in (pro-type) kart racing/competition now, but I think it'd be very cool to build/get into what Kelly is trying to get going here.

It's also very-much in keeping with the whole low-cost/DIY concept of this forum, so thats cool too! I think a relationship between Kelly's forum and DIY, could end up bringing more new guys into karting, and being a benefit to both forums, instead of them competing with each other.

If anyone else is interested in checking out Kelly's very cool website/forum,
here's the link:--> http://www.kartrods.com/

And, If anyone In the Phoenix Arizona area Is possibly interested in getting a local Kartrod chapter going here, post here or send me a P/M and we'll make this thang happen :thumbsup:
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
Thanks a ton, I appreciate it. My site is not a competitor site in any way and I totally respect those who've come before me and built these sites and for the resource they are.

My site is about 2 things. Build kart rods, race them, have fun.
 

DeathStarr89

Loose Nut
Messages
194
Reaction score
2
Location
Davenport, Iowa
This sounds quite a bit like what we used to do in Phoenix in the late 90's, In my neighborhood quite a few of us built karts and minibikes.. we would race/ride anywhere we could.

I'd love to do that around here, I doubt I'd get enough people with the guts to do it though.
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
This sounds quite a bit like what we used to do in Phoenix in the late 90's, In my neighborhood quite a few of us built karts and minibikes.. we would race/ride anywhere we could.

I'd love to do that around here, I doubt I'd get enough people with the guts to do it though.

True true. I've had a few interests around here but the truth is pretty simple. There aren't enough folks with the guts to actually do it.

While it's not some new idea, still something to do... just takes the right kind of person I guess. mua ha ha ha :2guns:

Step one: build a website about it. Check.
Step two: Spread the word... in progress.
 

Kelly Wood

The Mad Kartist
Messages
1,785
Reaction score
37
Location
Salt Lake City Utard
ole' machinist@large up a few replies lives in MI.

It only takes two to start something... Nothing gets done if you do nothing. :)

Once again, this little website of mine isn't to take viewers away from here or anywhere else, it's to further and fuel the hobby.

I doubt many have the ball bearings to do this anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top