• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Unread to Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

obone

Reaction score
Why do the threads after a day or two show up as read when I have not read them? Almost all of the site shows I have read everything. I know I am not that fast. Is there a setting or is this just how this forum runs? Thanks in advance.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Everything you haven't read when you log out (or your cookie timed out)
still becomes marked as being read.

since it is assumed that you've seen it but haven't bothered to read it.

The forum would need to attach a token to each post [~470k] for each of our ~29k users
which is simply a bit overkill.

And you don't want a 470k entries long perma cookie either.. so yeah, time based.
you logged in and out and all posts older than your log-out are considered
"being read" even if you haven't touched them yet (so let's say are considered "was ignored by user" ;))

'sid

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
So read everything when you log in then? and then exit out.

I was wondering the same. because i would see a lot of posts and only read a couple, then later that night i come back and everything was gone.

I guess it makes sens now.

Sometimes i come back and ones i read are still there too. and i think someone responded so i read through it and the last post i've already read? whats up with that? different PC's/Phones maybe?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
you can alsways check back on "Today's Posts" which show the last 24hrs
(first box in "quick links")

that'd show you at least a couple of posts you missed to read earlier, still not all unread posts;
but at least "the last 24hrs" ;)

(simplified)
It's cookie based.. you have a last visit cookie on your computer/phone holding a unix timestamp;
that's what's telling the forum which posts are "new to you" when you click on "new posts"
different timestamp means different results.
That's about what the Forum will show you as unread..
So yeah visiting from several devices will show several different results (some again on the second/third device)

'sid

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Or you could be as bad as I was... and ignore your entire family and life and actually read every single thread and post!
YES there was a time last year when I was doing that!:surrender:

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Or you could be as bad as I was... and ignore your entire family and life and actually read every single thread and post!

yah, me too! :roflol: :ack2: :yawn:

I'm trying to cut back :)

Panhead5496

Reaction score
Hey ItSid, I have a suggestion. Another forum I'm a member on (RCG) there is a place called MyRCG. You go there and all the threads you have posted in show up when there is a new post. Would it be hard to make that a feature here? I have a hard time remembering all the places I post and want to keep up with the threads! Just a thought

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep talking about changing the software out. Dang that's been a few years now. Must've got bogged down in the 'sippi hole!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well you can subsribe to threads you want to follow (not just yours)
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription

or you can just see your own threads
visiting your own user profile and clicking on "statistics" -> "find all threads started by..."
or all your posts by just clicking on your username and "find all posts by..."

Bonus: works not only with YOUR username ;)

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Could use Tapatalk on a smart phone and you get all that plus ones you've posted in and constant notifications for pm and posts in threads your subbed to. Much more convenient I think than being on a laptop or pc all day. Plus is you're working on a project, you have a camera right there and much easier upload.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Even though I'm on a Smartphone, I don't use Crapatalk. I just hit 'New Posts'....

'hances are...if a post isn't there, you're not missing anything.

You can also go to your CP and make sure you suscribe to threads.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

And your family has been emailing me begging me to get you back interested in DIY!!!!:roflol::roflol::roflol:

Kartorbust

Reaction score
My only gripe about using the website version on nut phone is, there is not an option to go into a mobile friendly mode. Some sites have it, some don't. Ones that do have it, you may lose some features that you get on the full site; like editing posts, giving reputation points (FTE), liking comments, etc. Even with tapatalk, you don't get the option to edit comments. Not sure if that's the fault of the app or that particular version of the site. Love it or hate it, it's another option that had its perks. At this point, it can only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.