twisted mounting bracket asymetric TAV 30

Status
Not open for further replies.

savage

Reaction score
Just picked up two karts for my 5 year old. The bigger kart has a 5HP motor with a Comet Torq-A-Verter asymetric TAV 30. The mounting bracket is twisted and the pulleys and sprockets are out of alignment.The tube that houses the bearings for the jack shaft is also loose in the mounting plate. What are some of the causes for this damage? Is the comet jack shaft housing/mounting bracket the weak link in this system since the shaft is only supported on one end? Would I be better off fabricating my own jack shaft for the driven pulley and sprocket using a solid shaft with pillow block bearings supporting each end of the jack shaft? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

savage

Reaction score
I would have thought that the steel plate would be stronger than the aluminum one. Can I just purchase the aluminum mounting bracket and use all of the existing components or do I have to buy the complete clutch?

mike75925

thinker and tinkerer
Reaction score
i believe you can, search hoffco comet, they have a site. know which one you have (shaft size).

jr dragster T

Reaction score
The steel plate is only like 3/16 stammped steel with the bearing holders welded on. Compare that to a 1/2" thinnest point cast aluminum back plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.