turning a race kart into a backyard kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpenn82

Reaction score
I recently purchased a older racing kart. I am wanting to run it in the back yard and the issue I see is the ground clearance. I am sure I am not the first to want to do this so I am looking for suggestions.

jpenn82

Reaction score
lol

I have 12 x 8 in the rear and 10.5 x 4.5 in the front. Do they make a 13 for the rear and an 11 for the front?

anderkart

Reaction score
If you have 6" diameter rims, you could instal Turf tires. They're available in 13 x 6.50 x 6" or 15 x 600 x 6", although you might need to re-gear your kart to compensate.

My buddy installed the 15" tall Turfs on his racekart. Worked out fine, but the fronts hit the frame on sharp turns limiting the turning radius a bit. His front rims had a center offset, you could use front rims with more offset to help that situation if needed.

The tallest tires I've seen for 5" diameter rims were only around 11" tall.

Some racekarts have an adjustable ride-height feture. You could check to see if your frame has oval-shaped holes where the rear axle bearing cassette's bolt on. Your front spindles might have a stack of king pin spacers between the frame and spindle, you could move all of them to the top of the spindle to raise the front a bit.

jpenn82

Reaction score
I did notice the front did have the stack spacers you talked about. I will try this and see how that works. I guess worse case I will upgrade the tire size and change the bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.