Tuned Rotax 256, trying to find info

josgun

Reaction score
Hello, I have some experience with 2 stroke engines but know nothing about Rotax, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I recently bought this Rotax engine, the seller knew almost nothing about it other than that the previous owner before him said it had been used for go kart racing in England. I think it's a Rotax 256. If I'm right about the engine, then it should have somwhere between 70 and 80 hp, and was made around 1990.

That is all I can find on Google, so I am looking for any additional relevant info, and where i may be able to find parts for it.

This engine also has a few aftermarket parts and a plate saying "Zip KART prepared and tuned", so I am guessing that it's got a bit more hp than original, anyone here who knows how many hp it may have? Or how I can find out?

Thank you in advance for any help, putting some pictures of it here too20220806_192939.jpg20220806_192944.jpg20220806_192932.jpg

Snaker

Reaction score
I've had some Ski-Doo's with Rotax but ain't seen nothin like that.

Obviously liquid cooled twin
The carbs sit low and I notice the round plates behind the carbs so I'm guessing rotary valves.
The top pieces on the side of the jugs above the exhausts, guessing exhaust valves?
The crankcase/gearbox appears to be one piece?
If so, that is very specific to the intended use.
Just guessing but, by the look of the ignition shown, single coil, maybe a single pickup that runs both cylinders and wasted spark?
That leans towards CDI.

In the first photo, it looks like a good chunk of the case is chewed up.
Does that look intentional or did a chain come off and do some unwanted machining.
Probably need to inspect that close and make sure it didn't go through.

I just don't know if you could rely on any snowmobile parts for replacement fit.

josgun

Reaction score
I've had some Ski-Doo's with Rotax but ain't seen nothin like that.

Obviously liquid cooled twin
The carbs sit low and I notice the round plates behind the carbs so I'm guessing rotary valves.
The top pieces on the side of the jugs above the exhausts, guessing exhaust valves?
The crankcase/gearbox appears to be one piece?
If so, that is very specific to the intended use.
Just guessing but, by the look of the ignition shown, single coil, maybe a single pickup that runs both cylinders and wasted spark?
That leans towards CDI.

In the first photo, it looks like a good chunk of the case is chewed up.
Does that look intentional or did a chain come off and do some unwanted machining.
Probably need to inspect that close and make sure it didn't go through.

I just don't know if you could rely on any snowmobile parts for replacement fit.
Thanks for that, after a closer look I'm pretty sure what you mention about the first picture is machined that way intentionally, it is about 4cm from the sprocket so I'm guessing its for a chainguard og somthing like that. After some googling I thing some snowmobile parts may fit with a bit of modification, hopefully I can get some new inlets/carburetor mounts (not sure what they are called in english) that way.

Tandemtwin

Reaction score
Hello, I have some experience with 2 stroke engines but know nothing about Rotax, so I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I recently bought this Rotax engine, the seller knew almost nothing about it other than that the previous owner before him said it had been used for go kart racing in England. I think it's a Rotax 256. If I'm right about the engine, then it should have somwhere between 70 and 80 hp, and was made around 1990.

That is all I can find on Google, so I am looking for any additional relevant info, and where i may be able to find parts for it.

This engine also has a few aftermarket parts and a plate saying "Zip KART prepared and tuned", so I am guessing that it's got a bit more hp than original, anyone here who knows how many hp it may have? Or how I can find out?

Thank you in advance for any help, putting some pictures of it here tooView attachment 133909View attachment 133910View attachment 133911
Josgun, what did you determine with your Rotax engine? If you hope to actually run the engine, i can provide some information.