Trouble with TAV2 30-75 on Predator 212

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBenson

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member from Ocala, FL who is attempting to mount a Comet TAV2 on a 212 Predator for use on a rusty old yerf-dog that I am trying to bring back to life. I tried "Search" but was unable to find anything similar.

-I have the mounting plate tight against the crankcase

-the supplied spacer is on the crankshaft

-with the "flat side" of the driver on the shaft in front of the spacer, the driver is located at least 3/16" too far in toward the crankcase to line up with the driven.

- I can't shim the driver out anymore because the shaft is so short on the Predator that only about 1/2'' of shaft is now available to catch the splines on the driver.

- the driven is factory installed and has no adjustment

- should I just ship the Comet TAV20 back to the dealer and try another brand of T/C. Go Karts USA has a GTC T/C that they claim will "bolt right on" to a Predator. Have any of you tried those?

-Does the short crankshaft on the Predator create a problem with the mounting of any T/C? Will these drivers operate OK if the splines are only able to catch about 1/2" on the end of a Predator shaft?

I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. Thank You!
 

Attachments

  • DSC01075.jpg
    DSC01075.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC01078.jpg
    DSC01078.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 15

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Messages
2,673
Reaction score
98
Location
U.S.A.
I just used some flat washers and spaced it out on mine. And I bought a longer crank bolt.
 

Rear engine 86

New member
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
Location
london ontario canada
I use 3/4 .020 shims to get my driver belt clearence to where I need it.

Yes you dont have much crankshaft length left to use but I have installed these Comet Tavs with your same combo with no issues. The industry standard crank length is 2.25in and I believe its a little short in some applications. They should be 2.5 inches in length in my opinion. In my Lawnboy duraforce build I had the crankshaft machined to 2.75 inches in length just to avoid this situation.

The Tav driver to drivin alignment does not have to be exactly paralell with the driver and can sit slightly behind the plain of the drivin unit. I hope this helps and answers your questions.
 

RBenson

New member
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the replies Joe and Rear Engine. If I decide to shim the driver into alignment, I guess my question is; What is the minimum amount of crankshaft needed in order to mount the splines and have the driver operate correctly? It looks like if I shim the driver over into alignment there will be about 5/16" of crankshaft left to mount the splines.

Rich
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
This is a common problem as the predator shaft is shorter than most; as far as I know, most simply add a spacer to the end of the shaft to make up the difference in length...

Another thing you could try is to move the sprocket to the outside of the driver but, as I haven't tried this myself, you may want to wait for others to confirm...

Oh & welcome to the forum
 

Rear engine 86

New member
Messages
121
Reaction score
1
Location
london ontario canada
I had a 1999 Manco Dingo 6 with a Tecumseh 6hp Powersport OHH60 engine and when you removed the front half of the Comet 30 series driver, only about 15mm of crankshaft was remaining. I was always concerned about the whole setup not having enough support but I had no issues to speak of.

As long as that fine thread crankshaft bolt is tightened to spec (30-40ft/lbs I believe) you will be fine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top