TrailMaster 300X-E won't start

Highmarker

Reaction score
I have a 2019 TrailMaster 300X-E (fuel injection). My son was driving it around in a pretty dusty area. It quit on him, and he couldn't get it started. I've cleaned the air filter and made sure the spark plug was producing a spark. Also tried spraying starting fluid, but to no avail.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
dust shouldn't cause much of an issue as long as the air filter is well maintained.

I understand that it does turn over but didn't want to pop and take over by itself;
is that correct?

if so:
For a quick pre-test
just remove the injector nozzle from the manifold,
and firmly hold it in your hand (it's tip covered by a paper tissue)
have your kid try to briefly start the engine;
you should feel it clicking in your hand and get a miniscule fuel stain on the tissue paper.

no click, no fuel and it'd be the injection not working
check the wiring harness (yes I'm afraid all of it) for broken wires and loose connections,
chances are the injector isn't firing because of a a loose/broken connection;

most likely it's just a connector that rattled loose,
could of course be either the injector itself (highly unlikely),
one of it's required sensors (IAP, MAP, CPS or such)
or the ECU which would be the worst that could have happened.

clicks but no fuel and it'd be a clocked fuel line somewhere,
at worst the fuel port of the injector itself.
clean the tank and (clean or replace) the fuel filter,
blow the fuel lines with compressed air (OFF the engine of course!!)
and reinstall everything once cleaned.
the injector nozzle is a bit trickier, let's just hope it's not it ;)
(can be cleaned with an ultrasonic bath, but it must not be submerged and under pressure)

clicks and sprays fuel
and we need to move on..
next thing might be the lack of compression,
so get a compression tester (or your thumb as a substitute ) and see how good the compression is.
it's a rather new kart and I cannot imagine it being too bad,
but a dusty area and a badly maintained and thus failed air filter and that might indeed be a possibility.

I unfortunately don't have a manual for that kart, so I can't tell where to look first.
or give you a clue about any particular order really.

'sid

shinwrx187

Reaction score
If it just shut off then i would agree it would be a loose ground, if it was a injector or clip it wouldn't shut off it would just run badly obviously because it would be missing. Always check from the ground up when u have a immediate shut off. Good luck keep us posted.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your ground wires, one or more may have worked loose over some bumps.
checking ground is never a bad idea indeed.
but the coil and crankcase ground is sound...
ECU might be different and that's part of what I suggested ;)
If it just shut off then i would agree it would be a loose ground, if it was a injector or clip it wouldn't shut off it would just run badly obviously ...
Well 'obviously' NO with a faulty injector, the engine would NOT RUN AT ALL
(this is a single cylinder engine mind you, no fuel no pop.. obviously ;))
Also you seemed to have missed this:
... I've cleaned the air filter and made sure the spark plug was producing a spark.
when there's spark, then there's enough ground for a spark at least ;)
and with that the issue can be -rather confidently- shifted to either fuel or compression.

'sid

Highmarker

Reaction score
I took my air compressor to it and blew all the dust off the entire kart and especially around the engine and intake. I went around and check all the ground wires I could find. There was one that seemed a little loose next to the injector, so I made sure it was tight and wallah (viola) it started. It ran a little rough at first, but then smoothed out after a bit, probably from all the fuel in it. So, I don't know if it was because I blew off the engine or because I tightened up the loose ground... maybe both... who knows. Thanks for all the responses. One more question: There is a green light on the dash that lights up when it starts, then goes out. Usually it will stay off the entire time it is running, but now it blinks every now and then. I found that this green light corresponds to a red light that is found on the ECU located behind the drivers seat. Anybody know what the green light means?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
might be the ECU control (mine is red actually; green sounds odd to me)
or the oil pressure (mine's orange.. again green IDK...)
oil and FI should indicate the functionality of the warning light (led and trigger) by lighting up just when you turn the key for a few seconds,
then turn off and stay off.
lighting up again with the running engine usually indicates some issue

if it's the oil pressure, check the oil level first, then the oil pump in case the level is alright.
in case of an ECU indicator light.. it's getting nasty.
the engine will always run rough because of some issue with the fuel injection;
again they always come with a rudimentary on board diagnostic at least.
You need to find the switch that triggers it's output (i doubt it's a OBDII conenctor tbh but if.. that's the way to go)

please post a few pics of your engine and ECU (and if you find unpopulated connectors, those as well!)

I wish I could find the user/workshop manual for that kart.. but still nothing :(

'sid

Highmarker

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures. The first one is of the dash with the green light shown to the left of the switches. The second is of the ECU with the open connection.
My son drove it around yesterday and said the green light did not come back on after starting.

Attachments

• 20200904_074526.jpg
    20200904_074526.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 20200904_074557.jpg
    20200904_074557.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7

Highmarker

Reaction score
The formal name of the kart is TrailMaster Challenger 300X-E. I also own a TrailMaster Challenger4 300X-E which is a 4 seater. However, I keep it up on my property in the mountains. I go up there about 2 - 3 times a month. I'm headed there this weekend, so I'll poke around and see if there are any loose ground wires.

I'm curious if the FI can be adjusted. My 4 seater has a hard time idling when first starting up, when it's cold. Once it's warm, it runs good.

robert wilson

Reaction score
I too have a Trailmaster Challenger 300x-e and mine has the same issue. however i have encountered a different problem and hope you can assist. My Trailmaster 300 ran fine all day but when we got off the boat and went to restart it, it would start. The fuel injection kicks on but when you turn the key to start it does nothing. It almost like a safety of some sort is not making. i have parking break on and drive in neutral. is there a sensor some where. All assistance would be appreciated.