Tractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluxcored

Reaction score
Hi all,

There is a possibility that I can get a lawnmower tractor? at a reasonable good price. It has got a dead 14HP Briggs and Stratton engine. All I know is that they cannot find the parts to get this thing going again - although what I do not at this stage.

Assuming that the engine is a total goner. can I put some of the other bits to good use? Is it worth my while investigating this deal?

ryf

Reaction score
if its free, things to look at keeping..

transmission (sell it for $$ to a mower parts guy, $50 usually)

wheels and tires, they are good enough for a go cart, might need to weld the axles to the wheels

steering wheel & shaft

steering spindles, or the whole front swing steering assembly

all the metal bits, IE the frame, deck, back fender assembly etc.. (scrap yard cash)

don't use the mower steering "box" they are not dependable, definitely dangerous if you get going fast when it fails.

and anything else that looks like it would be useful

that said, any small engine that isn't frozen up (still turns over) can usually be fixed.. very few CAN'T, its just that some aren't worth the cost, you can get a new engine delivered for under $500, and a new mower for $1000, so keep the budget in mind on that. you can buy a whole older used riding mower that runs for under $250 bucks in most rural/suburban areas, so don't give anyone more than $75 for a non runner, you may not recover your costs in scrapping it, and no sense paying to haul away other peoples trash. if its perfect except for the engine, you may decide to pay more, but I would leave it for someone looking for a riding mower to fix, and find cheaper parts mowers elsewhere. good luck

http://smallenginewarehouse.com/pro...rial+Commercial+Electric+Start+OHV+Oil+Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.