Tracked John Deere 317 diesel (maybe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homemadgokarts1221

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been awhile but I have been thinking of a new project. I saw this REALLY cool tractor on youtube and I HAD TO. So my friend Matt and I have been talking back and forth on facebook all night trying to think of a plan. I want this thing to have some serious power so I'm thinkin a 3 cyl. Yanmar diesel, for one I know alot more about diesel and I just love them. We are waying out the pros and cons of fabricating a frame or buying a john deere frame. What do you think? Lemme know if you have any ideas or comments! I will keep you all posted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7Q56uS1n00&feature=related

machinist@large

Reaction score
Don't laugh to hard; if I can refind the link, I'll try to add it. The guy I saw used a pair of those, the tracks off a pair of dead snomobiles and a 16hp Kohler. Looked quite sharp.:D

Bluethunder3320

Reaction score
woah. thats what we need there. snowmobile tracks!

hey owen what about a single snowmobile track under the mower and keep the front wheels? then you could get that crappy $25 one. or the john deere and find an engine... or a snowmobile engine haha.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
search the forum a bit, many of us have been interested in tracked vehicles for some time now and there is some good info.

Homemadgokarts1221

Reaction score
Okay heres what im thinking. Im kinda on a budget so I ditched diesel and I think i am going to buy like an 18 HP onan or Kawasaki. The next is the drive system which will have one lawn mower trans-axle hoping to be hydrostatic. This trans-axle will have to belt adapters on it and will probably be extended out to where the top track idler and drive is. But it will sit either higher or lower then the drive on the tracks. Then there will be a belt similar to the way that zero turn walk-behinds work and a tentioner that the operator can control.

Status
Not open for further replies.