Tourque converter with no governor

Status
Not open for further replies.

archerman53

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Vero Beach, Fl
Hi, I'm relatively new and just got a Honda GX390. So far I have removed the governor, ported head, and upgraded the jet. I plan on upograding the spark plug, customizing intake and exhaust, and putting on a tourque converter. However, someone I know told me i can't have a torque converter with no governor because the belt would pop off. Is this true?
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
However.... If you change from stock springs to heavier one... The con rod will pop the top of the block off.... If you haven't upgraded to billet rod.
 

anickode

Active member
Messages
2,296
Reaction score
75
Location
S.E. Michigan
However.... If you change from stock springs to heavier one... The con rod will pop the top of the block off.... If you haven't upgraded to billet rod.

Talking valve springs, not torque converter springs. (Which you can also change to bump up the engagement speed so your TC runs in the higher power band of the ungoverned engine)

Though Honda rods seem to be a bit tougher than their knock-off Chinese counterparts.
 

bob58o

SuckSqueezeBangBlow
Messages
9,646
Reaction score
1,859
Location
Chicago-town USA
I plan on using 35lb HD valve springs in my 420cc with the stock rod. I'm sure I will get a billet rod eventually. I can probably make a rod out of tin foil, because I just put these engines together and then on a vehicle, then they just sit there and get no love once completed.

I don't think these big block engines spin very fast. Stock cam, stock size valves, counter-balance still in place,... maybe 5500 RPM? I've heard the valves might float around 4500 RPM with stock valves springs??
 

archerman53

New member
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Vero Beach, Fl
Talking valve springs, not torque converter springs. (Which you can also change to bump up the engagement speed so your TC runs in the higher power band of the ungoverned engine)

Though Honda rods seem to be a bit tougher than their knock-off Chinese counterparts.

I'm not sure if you know anything about this specific engine, but do you know what tc springs I should upgrade to?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top