Torque Converter?

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
I have a Predator 420cc on a Manco Dingo frame with a 40 series torque converter. Everything is new and I've ridden it probably no more then 2 hrs. worth. Today I rode for a while and as I slowed down it stalled. I went to start it up and the go-kart lunged towards me each time as I pulled the cord. I could not get it started.
(On a previous outing before that I had been hearing the torque converter trying to "engage" or something as I was accelerating. Not sure what is going on. I know that the torque converter can stick sometimes and I took it apart and cleaned it and it hasn't changed anything. Thanks for listening and please give me your thoughts.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I bet it's the terrible backplated BS version with the outboard driven again....
the belt offset (maybe false installation/driven spring)
caused it to wedge into the driver and that's now the result.

'sid

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
I have an extra torque converter so I replaced the driver pulley and it didn't improve anything. I jacked up the back and started it up and it goes right into gear and the back wheels just keep on moving. Could it be the driven pulley? Oh also I can't push the go kart backwards. The wheels won't turn. It only moves forward.Here are some pics

Thanx for your time
Go-Kart Narc

Attachments

• 20200920_135600.jpg
    20200920_135600.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 30
  • 20200920_133932.jpg
    20200920_133932.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 20200920_133925.jpg
    20200920_133925.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28

Snaker

Reaction score
My imagination or is the driven pulley grinding down on the brake disc?

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed that the driven pulley had some wear on it, like it has rubbed on the brake disc. I have about a 1/4" space between the two. But when that driven pulley expands, shouldn't it go outward? It might sometimes rub on the brake disk, but do you think the driven pulley might not be engaging, jammed, or stuck?

Attachments

• 20200920_143436.jpg
    20200920_143436.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 20200920_143303.jpg
    20200920_143303.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

Snaker

Reaction score
The clutch function on these is on the drive, engagement issues would be there. A belt that is too short or misaligned could be a problem.
The rig is a rigid, no rear suspension?
If so, must be the engine mount movement changing the gap between driven and brake disc.

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
The clutch function on these is on the drive, engagement issues would be there. A belt that is too short or misaligned could be a problem.
The rig is a rigid, no rear suspension?
If so, must be the engine mount movement changing the gap between driven and brake disc.

Wow that's a lot of information. I really appreciate it. I have loosened up the torque converter and maybe it seems that the driven pulley has slipped out of the groove on the shaft that's built into the torque converter manifold. I have not taken it off completely yet, but I will tomorrow and I will get back to you on the results.

Thanx so much!

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Ok so I put a new torque converter on and corrected the spacing between that and the sprocket so it won't rub anymore. I tried spinning the torque converter with my hand and it is it won't move. It won't move in reverse either. I started it up and the tires go right into rotation and start moving. When I apply the brakes it stalls out. Could there be something wrong with the driveshaft? I did take off the torque converter again and try spinning the drive shaft with my hand and at one point it gets really tough to turn. I did bypass the governor, but I'm not beating the hell out of it. Has about 3 hrs on it if that.

Hope somebody can help, thanks

Snaker

Reaction score
The clutch function is on the drive pulley. Below engine engagement rpm the driven is disengaged from the engine. If that's not happening (engine stalling) then:
1. engine is idling too fast
2. clutch is broke and not disengaging
3. pullys not aligned properly
4. wrong belt

If something is "rough" something is wrong

Do:
1. check for a side gap between belt and drive pulley sheave
2. belt should have enough slack so as to not drag but not so much as to not engage properly
3. remove belt, raise machine, turn driven by hand
4. remove brake caliper to and turn by hand to rule out a dragging caliper

LightningTeg

Reaction score
Take apart the driver and lube it up. I have to do this about every 3 or 4 rides with mine otherwise it will dry up and not engage properly or start locking up.

GoKartNarc

Maintained Machine
Reaction score
Take apart the driver and lube it up. I have to do this about every 3 or 4 rides with mine otherwise it will dry up and not engage properly or start locking up.

Thanks a lot for responding. I watched a video on that and I think that's the problem. Although I had some other problems, but I fixed them. I don't think the driver was engaging because like you said it needs to be lubed. I haven't tested it out yet because I have a few things to tend too still. When I do the initial start up and it works, I will repost and let everyone know the results, thanks again