Torque Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korky

Go Kart Noob
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
So I have a 150lb (plus my 150lb weight), pretty large off roading go kart that I built awhile back, it has 14" wheels and a 6.5hp engine with a centrifugal clutch, and rear sprocket, I am uncertain on what size sprocket I have. Because of the type of driving I do, I've had to buy 3 new clutches.

I'm upgrading to a 13hp Honda engine, and I'd like to trash this clutch system for a torque converter, but at the same time, I do not want to spend too much money. I just need a system that won't break so often.

Basically I have no idea what kind to get or exactly what I need. So here are some questions I have.

Should I try to find a Comet 40 series? (From what I've seen they are the best)

Should I get a jackshaft and continue to use chain and sprocket, or run my belt directly to a belt sprocket?

Where can I find everything I need, and how much will it cost? (belt, jackshaft if needed, driver, driven etc)

Thanks in advanced.
 

Korky

Go Kart Noob
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
If you get the 13hp, then you will need the 40 series tc. EBay has knock off ones for about 100

I've had the 13hp in my garage for a long time, just haven't set it up. Are the knock off ones just as good as the higher end ones?
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
not going to say there any better than a comet but you get what pay for. i have a few of the nock offs and hadn't had a problem.
 

Korky

Go Kart Noob
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
not going to say there any better than a comet but you get what pay for. i have a few of the nock offs and hadn't had a problem.

Thanks.

With the link you gave, will it work with a 13hp and will I need a jackshaft or does it come with it, or should I make it belt driven?
 

rocketkart

Active member
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
17
Location
florida
if your 13hp has a 1 ich shaft than yes it will. you should not have to get a jackshaft for you setup.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,797
Reaction score
594
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
The comet 30 series tc in the link is only rated for 8hp. It is not suggested that you use it on a bigger engine. The knock offs are just fine. No problems reported so far
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top