Torque Converter Tantrums

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
So I recently Predator swapped my go kart. I had bought a like new Predator with a brand new torque converter on it from my friend. I installed it on my go kart, and everything was fine, but then when I tried to drive it, it ground and did not go when I tried to go over approx. 3 mph. Unfortunately I am not able to attach a video, but basically, the second part of the torque converter just slips and grinds and smells burnt. The chain does not spin, it is just the rest of it. I took it apart and checked it and it looked fine to my unexperienced eyes. The key was properly in place in the keyway and it should work. If anyone would kindly have a suggestion as regarding how to proceed, I would be much obliged. Thank you
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,507
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Is the chain tight with no slop?
Is the belt on correctly?
Is everything lined up properly?
Are your gear ratios ok!
Is the engine plate flexing?
Can we get pictures from all angles of your setup?
 

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
I believe I have found the solution. The chain that originally came with the go kart was a bigger, heavier duty chain. So, when I put on the new engine and torque converter, the big chain did not really fit the smaller gear. So it was grinding out and not going. I believe this is the answer but if any of you have any other theory as to why this is happening, please let me know. Thank you, Denny, for your answer.
 

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
Is the chain tight with no slop?
Is the belt on correctly?
Is everything lined up properly?
Are your gear ratios ok!
Is the engine plate flexing?
Can we get pictures from all angles of your setup?
I am going to order a new sprocket that will fit the shaft and the new chain and hopefully that will solve the problem.
 

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
Ok, unfortunately I could not find a sprocket the right size. The size is 5/8 inch bore and I believe 3/16 inch keyway. However, the sprocket needs to have a pitch of 5/8 inch. I could not find a sprocket of these specific dimensions. If anyone knows where to get a sprocket of this size please reply. Also, if the pitch of the sprocket is right, do I have to have the exact same size of chain width? What I mean is do I have to have an exact 530 sprocket or can I use a sprocket of the same pitch(not neccesarily the same chain type)?
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
Most chains are a 3/8 " pitch #35 or a 1/2" pitch # 420, and practicality all
30 series torque converter come with those two sizes of sprockets. Pull the sprocket off of your kart figure out what size chain fits it. If it is a #530 I would suggest you change it to a #420. Drive sprockets that size are plentiful and are sold by every kart supply shop out there. A #35 chain ( 3/8" pitch ) will work but would be considered light duty for your application.
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,507
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Try looking through Gokart Supply site or MFG Supply sites for sprockets and information on how to measure chain links for size. I still would like to see pictures of the rear of that kart.
 

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
So, I have it running. After a lot of useless work and effort, I finally have a more or less running go kart. How did I fix it? Like I said, I tried many. many different ways to get it running without spending money. That was the main reason, the other reason was that I couldn't find a sprocket that fit my specifications anywhere on the internet. Even on places like Mcmaster Carr that have a huge variety of hardware there was not one to be found. I looked at the places you suggested, Denny but there was nothing that would work. BTW, the reason I didn't switch to a smaller chain like panchothedog suggested was that I would have to replace the, what do you call it, the sprocket on the axle? I would have had to disassemble the axle to take the sprocket off and put a (probably more expensive axle sprocket) on. Also, I don't mind having a way more heavy-duty chain on my go kart for safety purposes. Back to the point. So basically, it took me a whole day, I took off the new torque converter and replaced it with the old original one. This has an interesting design, but it works, so I am satisfied. So it runs, but I don't really know if its together right. Thank you all for your help.
IMG-0129.jpgIMG-0131.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG-0134.jpg
    IMG-0134.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,507
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
It looks like the chain that is on there is # 40 series. Measure the links and look up the size. That is a very good setup you have on there. I can’t tell if it is a 20 or 30 series cvt on there. Go to the Gokart Supply site and look up the information under the parts section.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
I can see from your pictures that your kart is a Yerf-Dog. I have two of them.
Both of them came with 40 series chains. (A #420 chain is the same thing.)
Earlier when I was talking about pitch it refers to the distance between the
pins in the rollers of the chain. Very easy to measure when the chain is off of the kart. I know that Yerf-Dog made many models of karts and mini bikes in their day, but I would be very surprised that they would have installed a #530
chain on any of their products. A #530 is something that would come on a
high powered street bike, 650 - 900 cc. I'm not pushing for any store but if you
go to OMB warehouse, or Go Power Sports they will have sprockets that fit a
5/8" shaft in a large number of teeth for different gear ratios, but it sounds like you got it figured out and are up and running. Glad to hear.
 

Cyberninja

Member
Messages
45
Reaction score
8
Location
Northeast Kansas
So, I still wasn't completely sure what size the chain is. You guys said its 40 series but according to my measurements its not. I re researched and remeasured and printed this chart and circled the corresponding measurements. You will notice that roller width is .43 and there is not even anything near that big on the chart. I am fairly sure about these measurements accuracy and I think this chain is just a interesting size. Also, I remeasured the pitch and found it is in the 40 series. Very interesting
unnamed.jpg
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,507
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
You may not have been given the correct chain for the kart. Replace the chain and sprockets with 420 (common in Gokart world) and all should be right with the world.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
Hey Mad, best article and explanation about chains I have ever seen.
thanks for posting.
 

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Messages
2,899
Reaction score
968
Location
Jacksonville, Florida
best article and explanation about chains
Yeah pancho, I'm a big fan of the "Standard Roller Chain" article on the GKS link. Caught off guard and surprised by the part in it that says it's the bigger of 2 sprockets (axle sprocket) that always gets the most wear, never thought about it before seeing that. Explains all the axle sprockets with the teeth folded over like nice surfing waves that I've seen.
 

Eztrail

Well-known member
Messages
276
Reaction score
454
Location
Cleburne, Tx
Looks like from the pictures that your driven is missing the "buttons" if so it will not shift properly.
 
Top