torque converter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderkart

Reaction score
The ad says the Items location is in China, so I'd assume It'll be a clone/copy and not a genuine Comet.

Shipping from China might cost more than you'd expect so I'd ask about that before bidding. Lots of ebay sellers offer ridiculously low selling prices and then overcharge with inflated shipping charges to compensate.

redsox985

Reaction score
Shipping is $68 flat rate. It's clearly not a Comet as it is from China at such a good price and that the Comet clutches do not come with that vented style of TC cover. Comets are perforated, not slotted. And they proudly sticker their name on.

anderkart

Reaction score
I noticed that $68/$70 shipping price was only quoted for US or Canada destinations. It mentions shipping to Oz but doesn't actually quote the price... I've heard Oz has some pretty steep tariffs or taxes on some imported items too.

Badot

Reaction score
If the popularity of the Honda clones is not an issue...why should a clone of a Comet Torq-A-Verter be an issue? Quality (or the lack of it) is quality.

I can only assume that the clone Honda engines and the clone Comet clutches had different people who 'designed' the copies, different people who head the companies, different factories, with different workers and different equipment... etc. Some factories in China are state-of-the art CNC machine shops with highly trained workers, and some hire 10 year old children to do work with shoddy hand tools.

That's not saying that a particular torque converter will be good or bad, you just have no idea what the quality of a product will be until you buy it.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
I have not yet heard enough about the Comet clones to judge them yet. However, as stated above, it could depend on which particular manufacturer it comes from. I await more reviews.

Gillgamesh64

Reaction score
If you look at there logo on both thier site and than this there is a clear distinction with both logo's in similar style and a ****ing stand out big red T in the middle... But any way that is just my opinion, And again i don't belive for a second GTC are made in USA but than again that might just be my ignorance??

meep

Reaction score
I'm going to second that they are two different companies. Especially since the one in the link you just posted clearly states they are an automotive parts brand and says nothing about go karts or TC's. And both the G and the C are different fonts. I wouldn't jump to conclusions just because the T is in red on both. I don't mean to be offensive or anything just giving mho.

Gillgamesh64

Reaction score
We are the professional supplier of automotive bearing in China(clutch release bearings, tensioner & idler bearings, wheel hub (unit) bearings, standard &non-standard bearing, water pump bearings, timing & accessory belt and universal joint)we have been in this field for over 20years, which can give you the products in lower price and higher quality.

Member Info

Too me that looks exactally like the kind of company to make something like a torque converter since they already make clutches bearings and belts.... any was i was just saying GTC looks suspicous to me

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
what???? i would get the gtc before the chines ebay clutch, in fact i did! every review i have read about the ebay thing were bad. i have only read one bad review about the gtc, and many good ones! if i buy a comet brand 30 series i willl compare them for sure!

edit: if i remember the one bad review was from a tc that had the mounting plate modified, not sure if that did anything or what.

anderkart

Reaction score
Yeah realy i don't even care if thin thing was made in china... i just care about weather it's up for the job!

I was kinda wondering if you emailed the seller and confirmed the shipping price to your address in OZ yet?
Heck, shipping might be less than the USA but I'd sure wanna know before bidding.

anderkart

Reaction score
So shipping was $104 then. Is there any chance Australia might tack on any additional Tariff or tax when Importing an Item an like this from China?

Have you ever imported anything into Oz before? I dont know how things like this work but the only reason I ask is I got a Internet buddy in Taz that Imported a used guitar amp from the USA. It was a $1000 Item but he ended up having to pay an extra couple hundred dollars in Tariff/tax fee's he wasn't expecting...

Status
Not open for further replies.