Torque Converter for an Electric motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGentry

Reaction score
Has anyone used a torque converter for their electric project? If so, how do you change the driven springs to lower the engagement RPM?

MrGentry

Reaction score
I am wanting a variable transmission system for an electric go-kart that my students race. I figured a torque converter would be a good way to achieve that. If there are better ways I am all ears.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
there are springs and weights to alter engagement speed.

for a series 30 there's a black spring set (as opposed to the blue one) that brings the engagement speed down to 1400 rpms with the original zinc weights (320 gr)
unfortunately that's about it.
everything else brings the engagement speed UP (up to 4500 rpms or so)

frankly for an electric motor, you want something closer to loose rubber bands ;)
(immediate engagement, just enough power to pull the weights back together when it doesn't rotate; you get the idea)
the rest should be 'controlled' by the driven anyways (it's spring should remain unaltered)

But that's theory.. tried?? at least I haven't.

You still have that my1020 motor
A TC can be bought off ebay for around 60 bucks these days..
the springs can be unhooked rather easily and in case it doesn't work reinstalled as easily again
to sell the TC again.
(just make sure the eyelets are on the weight, not on the seam. best on opposite sides)

just saying ;)

'sid

MrGentry

Reaction score
The motor we have on the solar kart is a ME0909. We were successful in the race last year with a 3:1 ratio, but I figured if we could have a variable system that would allow us a low range on take-off and a high range at speed we would see major benefits.

Has anyone used a transmission on an electric motor?

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
cool, way more power.. even better IIRC the me0909 comes with a 3/4" shaft as well :D

I don't know any tries in mounting a TC to an electric motor to be honest;
in the end it's not very efficient (80% if you're very very lucky! it's a non toothed belt right ;))

I cannot recall seeing any gearboxes for ev motors (well not for small ev motors that is)
other than golf cart trans axles.
Those of course are plenty though.

'sid

Functional Artist

Reaction score
Didn't some old mini bikes have a variable speed set-up where the engine was on like a big hinge & tilted toward or away from the rear wheel to adjust the speed?

I remember seeing something like that on here a while back.

Some other guys on here can probably help with details. :thumbsup:

Maybe that will give you low & high range without a TC

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Didn't some old mini bikes have a variable speed set-up where the engine was on like a big hinge & tilted toward or away from the rear wheel to adjust the speed?

I remember seeing something like that on here a while back.

Some other guys on here can probably help with details. :thumbsup:

Maybe that will give you low & high range without a TC

I remember the old pulley on a stick. You pulled back on the stick which forced a pulley into the belt to cause the belt to tighten and grip the drive pulley.

Status
Not open for further replies.