Torque converter but no power

del13ano

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have manco kart with the 6.5hp robin engine. The kart does fine on flat ground but will not pull hills. I checked compression and it has 120psi. The carb is new and runs just the same as the old one. I figure it has to be something in the torque converter but this is my first experience with one. Can you suggest what I should be looking out for and what may cause this problem in the tc? Thanks I appreciate it.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Brianator

Gettin' er done!
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a gearing issue, what's your current ratio? On the driven there's adjustment to keep it in a lower "gear" longer which is better for hilly terrain.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Make sure the drive clutch is clean and the pulley sheaves slide as designed. Check the driven for any missing buttons, check the belt for glazing and wear, check with Brianator about the adjustment he mentioned.

del13ano

Reaction score
I'll have to check on the ratio but I do have it set for the most torque. It was originally in the middle position and the change didn't seem to help. I tried to post some pics but they are not showing up.

bruin27

Reaction score
Are you getting full throttle? Might sound dumb but my throttle screw was restricting how much gas I could give it, once I took it out it ran great.

del13ano

Reaction score
Yes the throttle works properly. I'm wondering if the belt is too big. I can take the belt off without removing anything. I think I read that you shouldn't be able to do that.

del13ano

Reaction score
Well I got the new belt and it did better for a while but it's back to doing the same thing. I'm going to try and post pictures again.

Attachments

• 20200625_155820[1].jpg
    20200625_155820[1].jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200625_155826[1].jpg
    20200625_155826[1].jpg
    252 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200625_160717[1].jpg
    20200625_160717[1].jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 7

Karttekk

Reaction score
Did you take the drive clutch apart and make sure the springs and pins are still good? Do the sheaves slide easily? Everything in the drive clutch has to be spotless with no sticky residue and the springs can't be stretched. You can use a dry lube on the moving parts of the drive, just don't get any on the shiny surfaces where the belt rides. As cheap as torque converters are you might be better off replacing the drive and driven units. See if these videos help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn6160DxW2E&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYJnhdMe-0