Torque converter and gear ratio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
i have a 20 series torque converter with a 10 tooth sprocket off the driven pulley with 22in tires in back it with a 40 tooth sprocket weighs 100lbs and has almost no bottom end what rear sprocket should i use?

anderkart

Reaction score
What engine does your kart have? Its max RPM would help us to give you better advice too. (is your engines governor still hooked up?

The biggest rear sprocket (thats avalible to fit your particular kart) would offer the absolute best acceleration, but it would also give you the lowest overall top speed...

Assuming your (22") rear tires are somewhere around a 68" circumference and your engines max RPM is 3600, I'm thinking your kart is currently geared to top out at nearly 60 MPH. (so its no wonder your kart doesn't have much "bottom end")

Here's a link to a gearing calculator you should check out: :http://www.gokartracing.org/Calculate.htm
You can calculate your curent ratio, plus serveral other diferent gearing combinations to come up with your top speeds for each. You'll want to settle on an axle gear that gives you the best compromise between good acceleration and your needed top speed. (just remember that gear ratios for higher top speeds, almost always = less acceleration/bottom end)

motor_head

expert garbage picker
Reaction score
since he has a torque converter when he starts out it would be geared lower but its still geared too high maybe gear it for 40-45
engine size would help us tell you a good ratio

Reaction score
since he has a torque converter when he starts out it would be geared lower but its still geared too high maybe gear it for 40-45
engine size would help us tell you a good ratio

briggs 1970 somthing 5.5 hp

max rpm5000 no govenor
fyi 20 series torque converter has low end 2.68 and high end of 1.15

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
gear it for a ratio of around 7:1 ratio (10 tooth off driven 70 on axle), that will give you a 40mph top speed which is just about all a stock 5.5 could handle while still having a decent acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.